Thread: PA Class A/B non-commercial

Hybrid View

Smile Learning your A,B,C,s

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    I think a COMMERCIAL driver license, as opposed to a Non-commercial class B can be a double edged sword, and a lot of what happens depends on the cop.
    First I can't see any value in getting a commercial license but obtaining the appropriate operating license for your motor home is simply good sense. Imagine the field day a below average attorney could have if you were involved in a minor bodily injury traffic accident and you were not properly licensed to drive your 24 ton Prevost. Better have a BIG umbrella policy! I am surprised that the insurance companies don't require the RV license. Secondly, I think the anticipated response from law enforcement is grossly overblown. I haven't been stopped for a traffic violation for almost 18 years and have never had a moving violation. Trust me, that doesn't mean I always drive in full compliance with the law! About 5 years of my 69 year life was spent as a class 'A' commercial truck driver. It seems to me that the treatment difference from a 'C' license to a RV or 'B' is going to be negligible unlike how one may be treated with a commercial or 'A' license.

In summary, if your state requires an RV license for the vehicle you operate I think you will avoid a lot of headaches by complying with the law. That doesn't mean being "over-licensed" but with the RV permit the secure feeling when you hear a siren or have a close call is worth the minor effort required to obtain the license. I also agree with Jon about gaining some knowledge while studying for the test. Furthermore I agree with Joe C. I am glad I no longer need a class 'A' for my job!

rff105 Guest

I think i am going to send in for my non-commercial class A permit because i would like to be able to tow a trailer. However my car trailer is 26' and we all know from reading the other trailer threads all about over length. My question is do i need to take the H3 for the driving test and i have a 10' trailer that would keep me under or at the 65' combined limit in PA. I did fine backing up the 28' with the 40' vogue but a 10' with the 45' H3 might be a challenge with the short wheel base. What do you think the test will include? and do you thing keeping the setup under 65' is probably a good idea? I should look into borrowing someones 25' plastic RV but will i need something with air brakes for the test?

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

The test might not include having to pull a trlr. I would look into that first.

If so I would try it with the longer trlr first cause it would be way easier to back up and they might not check length.

If all else fails do it as you suggest with the short trlr, with a little practice first.

rff105 Guest

i agree the 28' is 8'-6" wide and is EZ to back up with the long wheel base and the sides line up with the coach. The 10' is only 7'-6" wide and wold be lost back there, by the time you see it turning it would be to late.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

I have seen short horizontal poles with flags that attach to the rear of short skinny trlrs that can not be seen from the drivers seat and the flags will indicate where the thing is.

If need be I would not be embarrassed to use them.

You could rig up almost anything. Also if your forced to the shorter trlr experiment backing with the tag up to see if the bus will chase the small trlr. quicker in that mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Cannarozzi View Post
    The test might not include having to pull a trlr. I would look into that first.
    I agree with Joe, forget the trailer. I live in Nevada where we have a 70' limit. I pull a Toad but did not take it to my test. The A or B license ALLOWS you to pull a trailer but you are NOT obligated to pull one or test with it. Many RVers do not pull trailers but their license would allow it if they chose to pull one in the future.

BTW, like Joe stated earlier, do a good walk around and explain to the examiner what you are doing. That was required in the Nevada test and tests I took several years ago in CA for a commercial license.

Good luck! You'll do fine.

Darl

I cannot speak about how other states view this, but in TN if the trailer and load exceeds 10,000 pounds you need a class A, no matter if it is being pulled by a pickup or a Freightliner.

rff105 Guest

Default Dmv

Well I stopped by the local DMV for some misinformation today. The fist two guys at the photo desk did not even know a non-commercial A and B license existed until I showed them the description in the drivers manual right on their desk. They then pointed me to the driver’s exam guys saying they know more about that kind of stuff.

The first driver exam guy also had never heard of a non-commercial either and pointed me to a fourth examiner. He asked why I would want a non-CDL anyway and I explained the motorhome thing and showed him the example right in the book. They did not know if there would be any written exam or what to study for the driver’s exam. They also did not know how the air brakes would be handled. The examiner explained to me that Pennsylvania is a “let live free state” and the police do not bother motorhomes. I explained that I under stood that but the insurance company or a lawyer might not see it that way. He proceeds to tell me that I should just get my CDL and be done with it. His way of telling me he knew nothing about non-CDL and was not going to find out.

I really would prefer not to get my CDL for all the reasons some have mentioned above. I guess my next step is to try to call Harrisburg to find someone who knows how to get a non-CDL class A.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Ahhhhhhhhhhh those wonderful bureaucrats.

I laughed my way through most of your post 105. Sorry couldn't help it.