Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: National Rally

Default National Rally

It's time to think about a national rally and my vote is Elkhorn Ridge in Spearfish, SD next September.

LA 1349
    Atlanta 1556
    Houston 1345
    Portland 1216

I also think a national rally once a year makes more sense than an east and west. If we start a year in advance, it gives folks plenty of time to plan. We can always have regional mini rallies anytime or we could tie in to sporting events or local events anywhere in the country. If we get 100 buses in one place, we will really get some attention from the Sponsors, Vendors, etc.

Austin 1336

Put me down as for Spearfish. We have been to this resort a few times and find it extremely bus friendly. Spearfish Canyon is beautiful with fall colors in mid to late September. For those of you who haven't seen Mt. Rushmore lately or the Badlands or Devil's Tower or the Black Hills this is a great opportunity without the hoards of tourists. For those with a bit of gambling spirit Deadwood offers a fun diversion. For those who bring their bikes you want to take two or three great rides through the hills including the pig tail bridges, Needles Highway and US 385. Those who want to linger a bit can take in the buffalo roundup at Custer State Park.

KrakMan,

I am all for a national rally. In fact, I am really ready to have a rally that doesn't require me to jump thru hoops to get someone to keep my kids which means we need to consider a time when school is out.

I also think we need to consider trying to do something over a weekend as suggested in one of the other posts.

Our challenge will be finding a place where the weather is nice (enough) and that is centrally located enough for most of the folks.

dalej Guest

If we try to keep with a set time of the year as other orgs do, such as the second weekend in Sept. and keep it that weekend so everyone can always plan on it.

bill&jody Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dalej View Post
    If we try to keep with a set time of the year as other orgs do, such as the second weekend in Sept. and keep it that weekend so everyone can always plan on it.
    great plan. we loved spearfish and would happily go back - got to get those dates, though, before the featherlite crowd takes over with all their matching stacker trailers!

Truk,

I would like to be able to attend a POG rally, but need some help. As a working stiff with young kids, I haven't been able to attend the POG rallies to date. I may be able to attend a rally in 20 or so years (upon retirement / kids in college) if they continue to be during the school year and during the middle of the week. Think about a rally during the summer and have it start on a Thursday or Friday and run over the weekend.

Loc - 2008 Marathon XLII - Houston

With all due respect to those with young kids at home I'm out if the rally is in the summer.

Too many idiots on the road and clogging rest areas, campgrounds too full, my garden requires watering or plants need picking, too hot, and we have raised our kid and our tolerance level for the little darlings is not as good as it once was.

Flame suit on......

Jon,

Is that why you skipped the Taco Twins in Asheville? Summer? My kids?

Loc - 2008 Marathon XLII - Houston

dalej Guest

Overall, I think that if the dates are set well ahead of time, we can all make them if we want to go. there will always be a conflict with someones life, but we just have to hope it works for the majority.

This is a good time to plan for next Sept.

Loc,

I think the "kid" group needs to look at doing a mini rally during the off school season. Keeping the adult one available for off season time.

Mike