Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: chassis batteries

Lightbulb

Darl, after all of your posts and everything in between, even with reading them carefully, it is difficult to follow what --IS KNOWN-- and --WHAT IS NOT KNOWN--. I think only you know that for sure, so let me list a few things in order for you to go through a process to find out exactly where you are and what is not working. When you find what is not working then you must go through the same process with that segment and find out why!!

Does the key(start switch) give a signal (complete the circuit ) with the starter solenoid?

If the key does work, does turning the key activate the solenoid?

If the solenoid is activated, will it in fact actuate? (test to prove the solenoid is not burned out)

If the key works and the solenoid is in good condition, is the start signal available from the transmission?

Can anyone offer any other (start permitting signals that must be confirmed)

For some of this testing it is easier with an assistant to confirm sounds and test lamp/voltage readings from opposite ends of the bus.
    If you can not get an assistant you can make up a buzzer or horn that will give an audible sound that you can hear across the bus, or a test light with very long leads.

I think that you can make tests for the trans. signal (all clear to start) in the left front compartment.
    __________________________________________________ ____________

Go back to the beginning with your thoughts.
    This was all brought on by the start key being left in the -ACCESSORY- position. Other than the drained batteries and the inability to start have you found any other consequences of the, accidental key on condition?

Something seems to be burned out, open circuit, or arced closed????

This sounds simplistic, but I am not implying that it is. Each segment has its own set of complexities that must be understood and verified.

I didn't get into making anything up yet, but, well you have suffered enough!!!!!
    Good luck JIM

Jim, by starting the coach from the rear we eliminate 100% of everything except the absolute basics. If it won't click or make a noise using the rear start, chasing anywhere else except the things I have outlined will not do anything to isolate the problem.

I listed the drawing numbers if you wish to follow why I have taken that position, and if you follow the circuits and they are OK, at the very least the starter will engage, something that is not happening according to my understanding.

Question

Jon, the most puzzling thing about this to me is that the bus was in fact started by a third party after the key incident.
    Why then can it not be restarted now by the same means?
    Could that individual have damaged something without Darl's knowledge. Remember Darl said that he did not witness the starting (I think that is what he said anyway)

Jim,

That is an excellent question and I can only speculate. With the DDEC getting powered directly from the wires to the batteries, it is possible for the engine to run even though circuit breakers have tripped, specifically the 24V ones.

If the 12V breakers trip I believe some DDEC functions are affected.

It is possible by jumping directly to the starter, if he hit the wrong terminal with the booster cables it could have tripped one of the big breakers, and possibly others. This is an absolute guess so do not put any credibility in it until Darl finds the open circuit. I suspect this is true because if the big CB trips, there is no 24 feedback to the alternator voltage regulator, so even though it ran for 1.5 hours the field on the alternator was not powered, thus it was not charging the batteries. With the size of the alternator that should have put a pretty good charge in the batteries within that time.

FWIW.

Default You are good Jon!

That is exactly what happened! When the guy from the road service was trying to connect to the starter he arced the wires. I saw the flash and asked him what was going on? He lied but I saw the area and it was at the starter. Later when he told me to try starting it from the cab I didn't see where he had made the jumper connection. After the coach was running he told me he had jumped it off the starter. Why didn't I think of that or at least mention this arc earlier? Let's hope it is the circuit breaker like I posted earlier. Thanks!

Jim, thanks for your input. I hope this is close to being resolved. I will let you know.

Jeff Bayley Guest

Default More of same

Ditto to the above post on my Royal and Angola. Both had 24 volt chargers installed but both had a breaker to turn it on and off and I only used it when my chassis batteries went dead like leaving the parking lights on over night. I think leaving the 24 volt charge on routinley just puts wear on the charger and helps cook the batteries (although the charger should trickle down to a lower amperage if they are charged.

On a related note, I just had the thing go bad on me. Those suckers are $400 and I couldn't find a "deal" on one anywhere. I found a local electronic repair place and they fixed the bad component for a $100 bill so FYI. Maybe they can repair my surge protector I put a new thread up on just now now that I think about it. That sucker is $700.

Omnitech Guest

Talking Mastr Teknishun

On the Marathons as of 2002, they were NOT charging the chassis batteries off of shore or generator power. I built and serviced Marathons, and am quite
    conversant with the way they build their product. The word to customers is
    to turn off the chassis switches when not in use, and if the chassis batteries
    get low, to use the "JUMP START" circuit to tie the house and chassis systems together for emergency starting. If you really want the straight and
    skinny, ask the factory for the diagrams for your coach for house and chassis
    battery systems. They will show all of the relevant connections. As good as
    a lot of technicians are, anyone that cannot back up their opinion with solid
    verifiable information may as well be selling snake oil out of a station wagon.

Have a great day!

Darl,

What's up? How are you doing on your starting problem?
    John Knollmaier
    Still Dreaming!

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by jonnie View Post
    Darl,

What's up? How are you doing on your starting problem?
    I think he took the family somewhere FUN!!!!!!!!!!!