Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's in the works...

Jeffery Raymond Guest

Default What's in the works...

We have been working on a 'manual,' as promised for this site. And, it is getting very close to becoming a reality.

Because the files are so large, there are some technical problems with putting them on the pages you see on your screen. So, it appears at this moment that they will be in PDF format, therefore, downloadable.

There are going to be a ton of caveats and disclaimers about doing some of this work yourself. Again, the idea here is that even if you aren't a wrench person, you should be able to better understand what the tech is supposed to be doing to your coach and to be able to better identify and specify problems prior to service.

And then you can have more fun in your coach!

ken&ellen Guest

Bring on the manuals. Eventhough we have only owned our Liberty 4 weeks we have adjusted, cleaned, replaced, and repaired. Also made a trip down to Atlanta and back. Tomorrow it goes to the Detroit Diesel folks for lube, filters, and general service.$$$$$. My wife will not let me dig a pit in the backyard!!!

How bad was the trip to Detroit Diesel? We have a huge Detroit dealer here in Houston, Stewart & Stevenson, and I inquired about having them service my 8V92T last week and the girl who answered the phone for the service department said, "Hey, if you can get it changed at some truck stop or other service place around there for $XXX you would be better off because our price would be double what anyone else charges"

Now that was a nice gesture, but it looks like I will end up changing the oil and servicing the engine myself. I am not really set up to do it, but I had already bought a case of Delo 100 30wt and I can get the filters easy enough and I can dump the oil at the airport, so my thought of just pulling into the truck equivelant of a Quick Lube is waning fast. I don't really mind doing it, it is just easier with a pit, the right set up, etc.

(I am sure Jon has a set up like this )

ken&ellen Guest

Jerry, Not as bad as I originally thought. They were professional, thorough, and went over what services they had preformed. They actually came in $300 less than they had quoted us. Since I did not have past service records this trip will provide a bench mark for future service. Both my engine and transmission were addressed as well as checking the cooling system. When I asked for tips on engine cleaning the service manager told me to stop by any time and they would pressure wash it no charge as a thank you for chosing their service dept for my work. ( it was after hours when we picked up the coach ).
    Ken

Default servicing your own

There is a practical side to me when it comes to owning a bus. Where we used to live in western NY there was no convenient truck stop or DD dealer, so for the years 1990 to 1999 I raised the bus on the air bags, put wood blocks under the support points and changed the oil and lubed it myself. It was not the best, but I could do a full service (oil and filter change and a lube) in five hours, including an inspection.

If I lived near a truck stop or was a full timer I would not hesitate to go to a truck stop during off hours and spend the time in the pit with the service guy. There would actually be very little difference in cost because they likely would not stock some of the fuel filters, the air filter or the DD coolant conditioning filters so you could bring your own without getting them mad.

The manuals are almost done, and Ben has done a good job of making the ones he has massaged so far easily understood. They will help you until you get familiar with what is under your coach.

I do admit (now that I have seen it) that the picture of the garage shop on this site is mine and it is one of the best things I did when we had the house built. If you pay me money I might let you see it

Jerry,

Unless you are running in very cold temps try to stick with straight 40 weight for your 8v92. When it got below about 30 I used the block heater to bring the motor up to temperature and the 40 weight never was a problem even on the one occasion where I drove in 20 below temperatures for over a day.

Default Flying

Jerry,

What do you fly?

Me: P210, C150

We have a V35A Bonanza that has been completely made over. It was a dog when we bought it, but some new paint, new interior, panel redu with some new radios, factory reman IO-520BB, new prop and some good maintainence has turned it into a good IFR plane. Added a S-Tec 30 w/ altitude hold and GPSS, so with the Garmin radios, it flies nice.

I have a little P-210 time. A great plane. I worked for a consulting engineer right out of college that worked for Cessna's insurance carrier back when all the 210 fuel system lawsuits were going on. The guy that did my panel also did about the finest 210 panel I have ever seen. He removed all the plastic and did a nice flat panel.

And I have 40 wt oil. I had 30 wt on the brain as I changed the oil in my Scout this past weekend, so between 15-50 in the plane, 15-40 in the F350, Delo 40, Pennzoil 30 and John Deere PowerGard oil, I have a flipping cornucopia of oil.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Great looking plane

I like your plane. In fact I have never flown a plane that flies as nice as a Bo. I've owned mine for over 19 years and used it extensively while I was working for a living flying regularly in the Miami of the north, JHW. It has proven to be a superb IFR plane.

If you are coming to the POG rally we can bore each other with plane talk.

The plane will be history long before the bus.

I just went back and saw the photo of the shop + pit. Sweet. I have the latent dream of having a hanger that in addition to providing plane storage, will also be a shop with pit and associated washing facility.

The current hanger is 60x60, but with two planes, the coach and a small office, it is way tight. So I opted to store the coach in another hanger ($125/month for 24 hour access + 30 amp power) and free up some room.

Amazingly enough, hanger space in NW Houston is cheaper than enclosed RV storage. Go figure.

I hope we can get hooked up with the POG rally. With my daughters still in school, it forces us to import one of our parents for babysitting duty.

Jon, you need to post some more shop photos and a few P-210 shots. What good is it to have this really nice board if we don't muck it up with some pics? I would even like to see some inside pics of some of the coaches (Ken) or how the bays are organized. I might get inspired or something.

ken&ellen Guest

Default Rally

Hope you can make it Jerry. My wife, Ellen, and I are selling our home to purchase a smaller place with some land to build a large building to house the Liberty.....I see a pit in my future! I noticed that you are from Texas. The last time I checked my old " N " number Eight Niner Mike had found its way back to Texas. I like, Jon, used my Mooney for business in Upstate NY. Lost my medical, but the stories get better as the years pass.
    Ken