Thread: Webasto heat control valves

Default Webasto heat control valves

Hope that everyone is having a great time in Branson! Sure wish that we could have been there.

Anyway, now that a large chunk of the brain trust is in one place, I'm hoping for some info regarding the operation of the gate valves that control the coolant flow from the Webasto system.

In our Liberty, we have 2 gate valves marked "Auto heat in/out" and another pair marked "Coach heat in/out".

If the blood/alcohol levels allow, I would appreciate some comments as to the function (yeah, I know, they either allow or prohibit the flow of liquid coolant) and appropriate use of these controls.

Seems I had one valve leaking slightly at the valve stem, but a tightening of the stem nut appears to have solved that problem. I assume that they can be repaired as any other gate valve??

Thanks for taking time from the partying, er seminars, to give this some thought.

lewpopp Guest

Paul, it doesn't take long for someone to post over the top of you and hide your needs on the front page.

As for getting the party boys to answer you, well, there are too busy bragging who has the shiniest silver spoon or who has spent the most since the last rally.

Jon would be the best to answer but he has either a policy or something that he has no published phone # and no computer with him when he is on the road.

Be patient whilst the little braggers party and pull practical jokes on each other.

You'll enjoy what you read and see about Bransen. Most are crazy rich boys.

As for me, I just had 700cc's drained out of my lung cavity and my breathing has improved considerably. Have several dr appts this week and hope to leave the end of the week if they will allow.

Paul,

Best recollection from my Liberty is that I always left these valves open to keep the coolant circulating. You would close them if you developed a leak somewhere in the system and wanted maintain the intregity of the coolant in the engine.

Mike

Mike,

Thanks for the reply.

After a little more research, I found a reference to the "auto heat" valves which indicates that these should be "off" when using the OTR air conditioning. Haven't found anything in writing about the "coach heat" valves, but your comments make a lot of sense to me.

Lew,

Sounds like you're making progress! Glad to hear that you're feeling better.

Everything's ready and waiting for ya here in PSL. Hope you're up to a road trip soon.

Hi all. Trying to to figure out which valves are the auto heat valves so I can shut them off. None are labeled on my 98 liberty. My OTR is struggling with the heat. On the road headed south through Central CA. Can I just shut them all off? Anyone have a picture of these valves. My Liberty manual is worthless regarding the Webasto plumbing. Already had the water heater tank overheat and release pressure through the relief valve. When looking up that I found this post about the auto heat valves and the OTR.

Thanks for anyone who can help.

Quote Originally Posted by phorner View Post
    Mike,

Thanks for the reply.

After a little more research, I found a reference to the "auto heat" valves which indicates that these should be "off" when using the OTR air conditioning. Haven't found anything in writing about the "coach heat" valves, but your comments make a lot of sense to me.

Lew,

Sounds like you're making progress! Glad to hear that you're feeling better.

Everything's ready and waiting for ya here in PSL. Hope you're up to a road trip soon.

If your OTR AC is struggling the circulating webasto coolant may indirectly in a small way effect that but not much. U need to have the OTR AC charged a little, possibly.

There is no webasto heat exchanger anywhere around your OTR AC evaporator. The fan for the dash evaporator when on does not pull air across that webasto exchanger up there either.

To your point u should absolutely close off the webasto valves if never in cold weather to keep unnessessary hot water flowing through the coach heat soaking it.

I'm not completely remembering the Liberty version other than 1 valve in perticular and I think it's the engine loop valve that Liberty does not ever set completely open. It would be 1 and 1/2 turns out from closed.

As u go and close them be conch 1 of those valves if in correct position u should discover in this position, only 1 and 1/2 turns open.

R u aware of the location of the cold air return filter for the otr ac evaporator and has it been cleaned lately?

Also just above the front bumper right in the middle if you reach in there with your hand you'll feel some grading and some screening. That's where you take in fresh air when you have the recirculating knob for the dash are set to the fresh air position instead of recirculate. It's been my experience that most of those blend doors that are supposed to be closed when you have it in recirculate seal very poorly and leak like a screen door on a submarine when they're in the closed position. Take some duct tape and tape off that intake above the front bumper and you might notice a little bit better performance out of the dash AC.

Hope this helps Jonathan and happy camping.

Once u do sort things out be sure to exercise the webasto from time to time or it's going to turn to stone.

Always entertaining to pull up old posts with Lewpops comments.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 07-14-2018 at 08:19 AM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines

Joe,

Thanks for the reply. It took a little searching, but I found an old post of your showing a picture of the valves on an older coach. Referencing one of your old posts, I was able to find the two valves to turn off. The two valves are attached to the lines that go straight up and then take a 90 degree turn to the front going into the coach. Everything worked fine after this. It was, as everything is, a learning experience. Once the valves were shut off, all was fine.

The OTR air worked fine after this and the coach stayed cooler longer on stops. Also, no more over heating water tank. With the solar setup I have, heating the water tank is not an issue so I do not need to heat it with coolant while driving.

Thank you for the input on the filter for the OTR air system, I’ll have to find and check this. The dash air has been working good.

Re the Webasto, I used it briefly last winter but found it was going through Diesel to fast for my liking so opted to use a couple of Dyson space heaters. I’ll fire it up again this winter and run a bit. Hopefully once a year will be enough to keep it from turning to stone.

So, you've determined your OTR air coolant mixing valve is leaking.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion