Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newell comment to make Tuga Smile

Default Newell comment to make Tuga Smile

I found this posted on the RV.net site in the forum:

"Mo, You first made this statement about these Nascar guys some time ago, but this dog don't hunt. First of all, I am a Newell fan, so factor that into my comments below. But I will concentrate on facts, not (unsupportable) opinions and predictions, to make my points.

As of now, months after your first claims, all three of these Nascar drivers you cite are still enjoying their Newells at the racetrack. Plus Montoya is enjoying a brand new 2008 Newell, and has been quoted extensively in the press that he loves his motorhome. The newest guy, Villeneuve, showed up at Las Vegas last week in a Newell, and has operated one on the F1 circuit in Europe for years. In addition, Newell is conquesting more Prevost owners than vice versa, in my opinion because of the many solid, provable product advantages Newell offers, including more power (625 vs. 515), steering tag axles, more interior space, including larger and more slides, updated styling, etc., etc.

The Prevost you buy today is a good product, but it is virtually the same as a 2003 model. Prevost owners wanting something fresh must jump to something else, and it is most often Newell. It is happening every day. (Call Newell for a list of available Prevosts coming in on trade. Then try to find a late-model Newell trade at a conversion company--it will be a much tougher search.)

Another reality check: look at the converters' inventories on-line for new Prevost's available for sale (dozens), and then look at Newell's inventory (one shown, and the factory says it is sold). Also, the prices of both new and late model Prevosts are in the tank, while a year or two year old Newell is bringing very close to what it cost new, if you can find one. The bottom line: Prevost new conversion sales are off perhaps 50% from three or four years ago, with several converters going out of business, while Newell recently increased production again, and is operating at all-time record production rates with virtually no unsold inventory. Newell's sold-order backlog goes out almost a year. You do the math.

Problems? All the new big coaches experience serious problems on occasion. It goes with the territory. I have a good friend who bought a new Prevost XLII converted by one of the best converters, and it leaked very badly. Worse, after multiple attempts, it was still not fixed. Mold was growing and threatening the owners' health. After a couple of years, the customer was threatening to sue, and the converter and Prevost did the right thing. To resolve the problem, they replaced the coach with a brand-new one on highly favorable terms. My point is that everyone in the industry has had some major problems, certainly including Prevost and the leading converters. But that doesn't mean the Prevosts (and Newells) are not good products, because they are. But to cite alleged problems with one in a comparison with the other is a phony argument.

That said, there is a trend going on in the $1 million new coach market right now, and it is Prevost owners switching to Newells. And (opinion here) this will continue unless and until the Prevost management (at parent-company Volvo headquarters in Stockholm, by the way) decides that they cannot continue to ignore the product innovation needs of the conversion shell niche business (250 a year?) just because it is such a small part of the huge bus market (thousands) they have world-wide. The failure of Prevost to offer a 600+ bhp engine for the last three years, basically a simple plug-and-play item, speaks volumes about Prevost's disinterest in updating their conversion shell. Oh, yes, next year they claim to be offering three slide-outs. Over ten years after Newell. Now that's leadership.

Nuf said. "

No doubt about it, the Newell is a beautiful Coach. I counted about 17 new ones down in Indio @ Luxury Outdoor Resorts in April. As far as the comparison to Prevost, its really hard to improve on near perfection.
    Prevost has been around for decades and it is up to the convertors to be innovative with the Bus Platform. Two different Vehicles, Apples and Oranges.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Tuga has a great looking coach.

But I still see him looking at our Prevo's with lust in his eyes.

Mike

Just Plain Jeff Guest

The text of the original post in this thread is a good demonstration of how parents should be supervising the internet use of their children.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

If Mr. Newel would go over to Mr. Hendrickson suspension in Ohio and start using their HT air ride suspensions, that are already used in MILLIONS of vehicles, which IMHO are light strong uncomplicated and very readily available and combine that with some stainless lowers in some fashion and do it right around the time Mr. Prevo starts using those Volvo engines, that would make many all American Prevo guys very very interested, and Mr Prevo in deep dodo.

Our XL, we like the way it looks, the way it rides and the quality added by the converter, period. Everything else is too unnecessarly complicated and built on the wrong side of the border.

Mike I haven't been to that web site in quite some time. Good post. I think I'm gonna go see if anyone had the courage to respond.

Quote Originally Posted by MangoMike View Post
    Tuga has a great looking coach.

But I still see him looking at our Prevo's with lust in his eyes.

Mike
    Thank you Mike, I love my Newell. It has served me well in the 2 years that I have had it. The slides are wonderful, and the systems are just like the systems on my previous 2 Newells, simple.

I agree with what was said by the writer on RV.net about the innovations on each product. Prevost is primarily in the bus business and secondarily in the MH business. Newell is only in the MH business, and Karl Blade and company have done an excellent job; the proof of this is the backlog of new orders for new coaches.

I strongly disagree with the value of the Prevost coaches being depressed. I believe that the buying public looks at a Prevost and considers it to be the pinnacle of MH. Just ask anyone in a CG if they could have any MH (free of charge) which one they would like? I'll guess 90% will say Prevost.

Let me say that ALL high end units lose value more quickly than the owners would like to admit. From my research, Newells lose value at about the same rate (%) as Prevosts. But Newells and Prevosts do not start out on the same playing field; Prevosts shells are sold to a converter (Prevost Car makes a profit on the sale), then the converter finishes the inside and sells the unit (and they make a profit); so the consumer has paid 2 entities a profit. This results in a higher cost which in turn results in a slightly higher asking price for the used Prevost. Simple economics tells us that the least expensive item will sell first. The same is true in the new market; Newells will sell for less than Prevosts. Is there a difference in the 2 coaches? You bet'cha, and it is up to each individual to determine which is better for him. It's like Gary said, apples and oranges.

IMO, an XL is the prettiest coach on the road today. I love the way they glisten in the sun, and the paint jobs are gorgeous and timeless. We'll be driving down the interstate and I will yell out to Louise; "Look there's a Prevost"! Then we will argue about whether it was a Liberty or a Marathon (it was probably a CC).

I am sure that my friends wonder, what in the hell is a Newell owner doing by belonging to a Prevost group. The answer is simple, I like you guys and I am not going to let a little thing like which coach I drive stand in the way of a great group of folks. As long as you want me, I'll be a POGGER!
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Tuga,

We'll always want you.

... as long as your bring Karen.

mm

Petervs Guest

Would we like Tuga even more if he sent Karen by herself?

This is what I mean, where can you go and buy friends like this for $100 a year! You guys are great!

You know, I may just buy a Prevost and join the TBC!

We don't have to mention joining the TBC to Karen
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Note to Jim Skiff:

Tuga is getting off way to cheap for all the benies he's reaping from POG. Better up his dues to $500 to be a little more commensorate.

Mike

Peter you may be on to something.