Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Renewing Insurance Time

Default Renewing Insurance Time

I have breezed thru some of the insurance postings from June 2007. All of this is new to me in dealing with insurance. Never had to do it myself. Time to learn. I see several companies mentioned and it seems as though "Thumb" has alot of good reviews from you all. I am in the process getting a quote from Explorer via our site with them. Will anyone suggest to me the "average annual milage" for someone who just goes to POG events and a few vacations a year? Open for more companies to explore. We now have our insurance with Gilbert RV insurance in Orlando, FL for $1,744 annually. Any suggestions?
    CaptMogul & Sandy
    2002 Royale XLII D/S
    2013 Toyota Tacoma
    PRAY FOR OUR TROOPS & THEIR FAMILIES

Ed, I would think 8,000-10,000 is a good estimame for our type of usage. I currently have full coverage on my 93 plus some things I added such as "diminishing deductible and reduced glass deduutible. I pay $882 a year with Explorer.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Ed, To help you with comparisons I am with National Interstate and have an annual premium of $ 1329.00. Includes coverage for increased Boost and Horse Power.

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

FYI, Explorer RV actually uses two different insurance carriers for their Prevost coverage. I believe I too am with National Interstate, even through I purchased through Explorer. My rates match almost exactly that with Dales, as we have similar year coaches.

Ray

Ray,

Have you checked on insurance for the XL2? The quote I had from both Explorer and a place in Oregon was "off the chart" more expensive that what I am paying and insuring a 2001 XL2 in Texas was quite a bit more than what my bus buying colleague in North Carolina was paying for a considerably newer and substantially more expensive coach thru the same company.

JPJ tried to get me to drink the kool-aid with the specialty RV insurance folks, but in the end it wasn't a little more expensive, it was a lot.

Just Plain Jeff Guest

Insurance seems to be like the weather. We all talk about it but no one really knows how it works.

What we found was that the premium amount is only a part of the story as not all policies are equal. Standard RV policies, if you have a loss on a Prevost will not result in a happy camper, as most of the RV insurance people don't have the loss/replacement experience as a specialty insuror. You could wind up at Camper's World with a claim based on a Winnebago (bad).

What we found was that National Interstate, which cut its chops on the fleet commercial bus business, does an outstanding job with claims. From the p-stuff board, Jon had noted several times how well the firm handled his huge loss and had the right people do the right job.

So in a nutshell, you get what you pay for, I guess.

Lastly: At Explorer, which sells the National Interstate policies, they insure to value. So, if you want/need a certain amount on your coach and have any documentation to support it you can do that. Some of the RV insurance people get a bit lost when they try to fix a value on a Prevost conversion. In our comparison, we were originally at GMAC and paid less at National Interstate for a better policy.

I have a quote from National Interstate on an agreed value policy of 400K on our 2000 Liberty XLV of $2,680. This is also based on a 500K Combined Single Limit liability and full-timers coverage.

Didn't think this was too bad considering that we were only paying a few hundred less on the '03 Beaver, which would be considerably less expensive to replace.

I also think that 8K to 10K miles per year would be a good estimate.

Any better deals out there??

My Insurance for my 03 is very high. Over 5k. When the insurance company rates a coach they want to know what the MSRP or original purchase price was , what your purchase price was , and then they evaluate coverage from there.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

But Gary, I can see insurance being high for a Stud Muffin living in Santa Barbara. For a simple oilfield guy living in flyover country, it should be more sedate. Like Lew after HH.

Wink National Interstate purchased through Explorer RV

Insured for 245k, 500k liability. Had 2 claims last yr totaling about 20k. Premium is $1,639, same as last year. I have had a great experience with this company. Good luck with your insurance shopping!

BTW, we have snow about 10 miles above our home on Mt. Rose highway in the Sierra's. Hope you folks in the south are enjoying the sun.

Note to Harry and Shirley, drive carefully!

Darl and Martha