Thread: A/C D/C Norcold basement Freezer

Hybrid View

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Default A/C D/C Norcold basement Freezer

I cannot get this to work off A/C power when supplied like it should. Works fine on D/C.

No parts available on this one.

I was wondering if I opened it up what I may find in there and if it is possible to separate those 2 power sources to make that switch manual?

If I had to design a dual voltage device like the Norcold I would install a converter in the circuit for the 120 VAC to create 12VDC.

I don't know how they did it, but my initial look would be to see if that "converter" is functioning. It's not rocket science because that is what every cheap battery charger is with some additional features.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Jon I have popped the top and looked in there and I think that is exactly how they do it. I can see a large transformer!

Thanks for the response. I will take it apart to at least check that. Maybe a call to there tech help will answer that for sure. The manual does mention a inverter and what not to do in wiring hookup as to not damage it but I just assumed that they had 12 volt going to A/C not the other way around.

Joe, I said converter, but it could be an inverter. Whatever they are doing they are taking one of the inputs and changing it over to the other voltage. I favor using 12V to run the compressor because I think to invert 12VDC to 120VAC is more costly. So far my vote is with a converter.

We leave ours on 12 volt also because it runs cooler (temp in the compartment, not the freezer). I'm guessing the converter generates a fair amount of heat converting 120 volts AC to 12 V DC.

Mike

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

You also make a good point Mike. I would still like to get both ends of it right if I can.