Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: straight 40-weight motor oil

ajhaig Guest

Default straight 40-weight motor oil

Where can we buy it? We're on the road (heading west through Iowa), are there any truck stops that generally keep it in stock (the Flying J that we stopped at didn't carry it)? Nothing urgent, would just like to pick some up.

Thanks,

AJ

dalej Guest

AJ, When you get to a fair size town, look in the yellow pages for oil dealers. Then ask for the right oil. A town of 25,000 or bigger should sell oil.

bill&jody Guest

aj
    we tried EVERYWHERE from the east coast last summer to utah and the southwest this summer. FINALLY found it at a place called Hartley Oil Co. in a little town called washington court house in OH. most of their accounts seemed to be commercial. but they were happy to sell the gallon containers (instead of the 50 gal drums!) at about $9.00/gal. said they always have it in their warehouse and could get it for us any time. ummmmmm don't think it somewhere we will be spending much time . . . just passing through.
    my point is that you might try a fuel dealer near home. we also found out a napa auto place in titusville, FL said they would be happy to order it for us.
    good luck,
    jody

dalej Guest

AJ, I went out and looked at my 55 barrel and it is Mobil Delvac 1640. 1340 was the old number.
    Last edited by dalej; 09-17-2007 at 04:42 PM.

Just find or call the closest Detroit Diesel dealer and they either have it or can tell you where to get it locally.

I have been able to find 40wt oil at most major auto stores. Granted, they only sell the quart bottles. But, in my case I change my oil at Prevost, and only need the extra to top off between oil changes (8v92 - nuff said!)

So far this has worked well for me. I generally by a case of oil, and that seems to last for around 10 miles (rough guess here)

Ray

dalej Guest

Ray, I don't like your tone of voice! It sounds like you don't even like 8v's anymore. Oh now that you bought a new toy you throw the old one away.

wrongagain Guest

well,...
    in my copy of the RVer's friend "just like the one in your coach" , it shows
    the travel centers of america truck stops.
    they claim to be 24 hr full service and repair.
    there are 2 on rte 80 which is where I assume you are if you are in iowa heading west.

Ray, I don't like your tone of voice! It sounds like you don't even like 8v's anymore.
    Wow! No slight intended. Actually, I prefer the more throaty growl of the 8V vs the S60. It just sounds better!

win42 Guest

Ray: Too bad your not going to make POG4, Us two bus owners would be able to show you how to position your nose in the air, and with an S60 you have to tilt it a little higher. The truth is 2 bussers have a goal of becoming 1 bussers ASAP. Either engine does the job well. Just having a bus is what really counts.