Thread: Fuel Leak

Default Fuel Leak

Arriving in St.Petersburg, where we store our 97 Royale, we discovered fuel on the ground on the passanger side just below the fill. Of course I assumed it was coming from the plastic job next door. After getting under way I began to smell diesel. Sandra didnt say anything cuz she is use to sulfer smells form the divers side occasionally. After a few miles I stoped for a inspection of the engine compartment, generater bay, aquahot bay, and underneath but did not obesrve any leakage. After arriving at our distination the next day, I crawled under and discovered fuel dripping from between the two tanks. Went to Publics and purchased a couple of Alm pizza pans to catch the drips. On leaving a several days later we found only a dozen drops in the pan. On the road again I called Prevost Jacksonville left a message ( never returned ) and arriving in Detroit and having a facility to do some heavy duty inspections set about planning to drain the tanks and some get very dirty. I called the Prevost S/E district rep and he cautioned not to fool around with the innertank connection as it could cause an immediate enviromental disaster. After raising the bus with all the tools and tanks I noticed that no fuel on the ground. Under the machine I noticed signs of fuel but nothing fresh, foam was soft and such. What had happened to stop the fuel leak? Usual suspects, Engine fuel return line, generator or Aquahot fuel lines. Canceled the planned repair untill we could get some answers. On discussing our trip north we noted we didnt notice a fuel smell even when I was driving. We fueled in Dothan and in Tenn on our way North. On our previous M/H an American Eagle I had a habit of installing the fuel cap tight then backing it off a 1/4 turn and had the same habit with the Royal. I guess I had gotten distracted on a previous fill and cranked the cap down which may have caused the leak by a build up of pressure due to temp. I have had no signs of a leak since. I am still courious where the fuel was leaking from, any one have simular experiance. Ed
    CaptMogul & Sandy
    2002 Royale XLII D/S
    2013 Toyota Tacoma
    PRAY FOR OUR TROOPS & THEIR FAMILIES

Had you filled it recently?

If it was leaking fuel from the center connection it would not stop and the belly of the bus underneath would be wet with fuel.

If recently filled, and you managed to spill it could be leakage because these things puke a lot before the automatic shut off kicks in and it could be coming from inside the fuel filler area.

Ed,

Right or wrong I always crank my fuel cap down and have never noticed a pressure problem.

Jon's right about the puking. Both my 97 Liberty XL and 00 Marathon H3 love to party.

MIke

Default Fuel leak

Definitely not from a puke. Parked with 7/8 tank in May and returned in August to find the fuel spill. The fuel was coming from above as I could see it shine in flashlight between the tanks and inner tank connection was found sound. Like I said before the eagle let out a big woosh when I loosened the fuel cap if it was tight, so I have been doing the same with the Royale.
    I think on the next trip coming up in a few weeks, I'll crank the cap down for a while and see if I can determine if there is a pressure buildup.
    Ed
    CaptMogul & Sandy
    2002 Royale XLII D/S
    2013 Toyota Tacoma

Orren Zook Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Brockman & Sandy Harris View Post
    Definitely not from a puke. Parked with 7/8 tank in May and returned in August to find the fuel spill. The fuel was coming from above as I could see it shine in flashlight between the tanks and inner tank connection was found sound. Like I said before the eagle let out a big woosh when I loosened the fuel cap if it was tight, so I have been doing the same with the Royale.
    I think on the next trip coming up in a few weeks, I'll crank the cap down for a while and see if I can determine if there is a pressure buildup.
    Ed
    It could have been from expansion of the fuel during the heat of the summer months - if you parked it nearly full of fuel in May and didn't use the coach again until August.

win42 Guest

In my maiden voyage with the Liberty and just after re-fueling and on the road the check engine light came on. I got off at the next exit and called Jerry @ Tulsa RV where I had picked it up. I told him I had just fueled up and the light was on. He said to check to see if the fuel cap was tight. I went out and tightened it and no more check engine light. I now snug the caps down.

Default Fuel leak and service light

Orren, I agree that it was a pressure problem, just wondering where it came from. Ed
    CaptMogul & Sandy
    2002 Royale XLII D/S
    2013 Toyota Tacoma

Default Check Engine Light

Win, I have just solved a check eng light problem. For over a year the pro driver ( Series 60 ) alarmed with " CLS failed " or coolant low sensor not working, and sending a message to the check engine light. I checked the surge tank level many times but no sign of low coolant. The alarm might come on once a day or every 5 min. I checked wires and everything I could think of so finally I had it checked by a DDA dealer. They spent over 8 hours and could not locate the problem. They only charged me 4 hours but still had the problem. This was starting to aggravate me, so I decided to pull the sensor and check it out but it checked out OK. One day the CLS was on from the time we cranked up until we pulled over about noon. I had Sandy sit in the drivers seat and I opened up the back. I clipped the tie wraps and started separating and bending the CLS cable and Sandy alerted me that the light went out. I tied up the cables and have had not had another alarm in over 1000 mi. I am thinking I may have trouble in the connector and during the next trip I will try to put a little crimp or pressure in the connector. Ed
    CaptMogul & Sandy
    2002 Royale XLII D/S
    2013 Toyota Tacoma

There's a lesson learned in that one. Way to go, Ed!

Orren Zook Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Brockman & Sandy Harris View Post
    Orren, I agree that it was a pressure problem, just wondering where it came from. Ed

I know that fuel is supposed to be sold at 60 degrees Fahrenheit, 25 gallons sold at 60 degrees will expand 1/2 gallon at 90 degrees.You can download a PDF file that will explain the expansion and contraction of fuel caused by temperature changes and the impact on miles driven at www.ooida.com - or send me an email and I can send it to you.
    Last edited by Orren Zook; 09-17-2007 at 03:34 PM.