You are right on about the quality level. It looks like it was done in a first class manner.

I know I am behind the times, but if a guy doesn't bust minimums and follows the published altitudes isn't the terrain feature a "nice to know" but not essential feature? I got it, but it never goes off to show me a terrain alert.

I do use the XM weather for long range planning. My radar is good to 40 miles, and after that it is window dressing.

The 396 in toto is however a real emergency device and a life saver. That is why that sucker sits right in the middle top of my panel. Having had one complete and two partial engine failures the feature I have on that that is worth the price of admission is the VS to target. My best glide gives me about 800 FPM. I have practiced numerous deadstick IFR approaches in the simulator (set up with 430s) and that VS to target is vital to knowing when you need to turn inbound to intercept the final approach course. The method taught by a lot of instructors (circle over your landing site) may work when VFR, but it will not help you put it down in IFR.

Contrary to the opinion of those living in the west the mountains here demand that you fly an approach if you expect to make a safe emergency landing. Its just that our rocks don't stick up as high.