Thread: New 210 Panel

Default New 210 Panel

Jon,

Thought you would like this. The guy that did the Bonanza panel just finished one for his hanger buddy who has a T210. Pretty sweet.

Jerry,

With all due respect that fellow does not or has not done years of serious IFR to a schedule. I fly with a fellow 210 owner with a similar if not more upscale panel and it looks great and has more chimes and bells than you can imagine.

He has really been struggling because I can screw him up to a fare-thee-well with real world problems. Let me use this panel for example. Fail his artificial horizon. Now he is going to use his turn coordinator or look on the RH side of the panel and that will really screw up his scan.

As silly as this sounds, take away his HSI and artificial horizon and control and navigation really becomes an issue. As hard to believe as it seems, he has all kinds of redundant capability, but I will bet like my friend, the OBS is rarely used as primary and a failure of his two primary instruments really gets him overwhelmed, especially because now his scan is a mess and he has to think using the OBS whereas the HSI is intuitive.

I think he has a great panel with great equipment and it looks very well done, but I would make a few simple changes. First, I would move the S-Tek over to where the second AH is and bring the AH where the S-Tek is. He doesn't need to look at the S-Tek so get out of his scan.

I would put the 396? on the top center of the panel. It has a backup panel and if his worst nighmare comes true and his electric fails he has an excellent backup. If the worst happens his brain (like our will) turns to mush and trying to look all the way across to navigate and possibly fly an ILS is very difficult. I'm guessing that is a 530 and not radar top center, and if that is the case moving the 396 makes more sense because he will use XM weather as primary instead of the Stormscope.

Just my opinion. Flying in that crappy NY snow belt with about 240" of snow annually makes me want to put the important stuff front and center because if he is a typical pilot eventually everything he has and every system he has will break sooner or later.

Wow, nice panel and I was tickled to death with a GPS to supplement a VOR approach.

Jerry,

This panel encompasses what I said in my post.

http://www.aso.com/i.aso3/aircraft_v...xxxregionid=-1

The important stuff is right in front of the pilot, including the back up instruments. Note the second HSI (the Sandel is #1).

I'm guessing the radar plays through the MFD.

Being somewhat biased toward the Garmin avionics, if I were to do all the stuff that both of these panels encompass, I would have gone the distance and put the 340 audio panel in and A) done away with the intercom and B) tied the terrain avoidance in the 396 into the audio system along with the traffic, which the P210 didn't.

And you have to remember that the panel of the older T210 was plastic and patched together when you get all those kinds of avionics added.

My original statement was with the quality of the workmanship which doesn't come out in the photo. The pilot said where he wanted the stuff and that's where it landed. Also, IFR in flyover country is pretty much limited to thunderstorm and low ceiling issues and not cold weather (which neither the Bonanza or the older 210 is equipmed to handle).

I am mixed on the 396 position. I like mine on the yoke, but if I had a center stack and the room, I might be temped to put it in one of those new housings that slide right in with the radios. In the Bonanza, it fits nicely right above the aileron trim knob and really doen't block any of the primary instruments. I am not a fan of having it right above the yoke. My OBI's are split, one low and one left, so that causes a scan anomoly, but I have also never flown with an HSI, so I have to look everything over and not just the center of the stack.

My radios are also set up with switches on the yoke to flip the frequencies and switch between radios, so I can have 4 freqs loaded and never have to move my hand to the radio stack, which I like. My AP disconnect is a little screwy as I added electric trim when we went with the new STec autopilot, but we moved the PTT and also the remote IDENT function for the transponder, so it all seems okay after flying it 100 or so hours.

You are right on about the quality level. It looks like it was done in a first class manner.

I know I am behind the times, but if a guy doesn't bust minimums and follows the published altitudes isn't the terrain feature a "nice to know" but not essential feature? I got it, but it never goes off to show me a terrain alert.

I do use the XM weather for long range planning. My radar is good to 40 miles, and after that it is window dressing.

The 396 in toto is however a real emergency device and a life saver. That is why that sucker sits right in the middle top of my panel. Having had one complete and two partial engine failures the feature I have on that that is worth the price of admission is the VS to target. My best glide gives me about 800 FPM. I have practiced numerous deadstick IFR approaches in the simulator (set up with 430s) and that VS to target is vital to knowing when you need to turn inbound to intercept the final approach course. The method taught by a lot of instructors (circle over your landing site) may work when VFR, but it will not help you put it down in IFR.

Contrary to the opinion of those living in the west the mountains here demand that you fly an approach if you expect to make a safe emergency landing. Its just that our rocks don't stick up as high.