Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Marathon vs Vantare

Thank your everyone for your input. I hope to meet you all at some point once I get through the "process" or picking and paying. Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated as well.

Paul,

I was hoping we would have a chance to meet before you hit the open road.

I did get to see your new coach when my wife and I were there, it was in one of the bays having some work done on it. The word from the service group is that it is a very, very, nice example.

Our new ride is the 02 Marathon XLII with a Pennsylvania plate on it. The exterior is described as sand with toffee marbling. Ask Joe in service or Ed in sales. Hopefully it came back from Prevost today...

Enjoy your super new bus. We'll look forward to meeting you and Janice one day.

Richard Beecher

Richard,

I was looking on the Marathon used coaches listing, and didn't see any 2002 XL2's listed. Did you snag it before they put it online?

Ray

Ray,

We met the sales person at Marathon on a Sunday! The bus was on their website for the rest of that week only and then taken off during their weekly update. It was a reluctant consignment on the owner's part.

The interesting thing about the whole deal is that I kept rolling around in my head the last name of the coach owner thinking I recognized it. The sales person kept referring to the coach as "Mr. Shauf's" bus and never mentioned a first name. Finally, not being able to stand the suspense any longer, I asked what the owner's first name is and wouldn't you know it, he is someone we know from the sportscar racing world!

Richard

Coming soon - 02 Marathon XLII

That sounds great. We can't wait to see a picture of it.

ray

Bumping an old thread because I am considering purchase of an 06 Featherlight H model. Any current thoughts comparing Marathon with Featherlight? I’ve been impressed with both companies, and have found a rare bath and a half floor plan Featherlight which suits my needs and budget. I was curious as to anything to be on lookout in this particular year, and also a broader question in terms of Featherlight support in general. I don’t care so much about resale value as I do service after the sale,

As I've said before, one coach is not necessarily better than the next. But one might be better for one owner versus another owner.

Marathon is the hands down leader when it comes to number of units produced. Clearly they have done something right.

Featherlight is still in business, which must mean something positive. Featherlight, at that time and until very recently, was very unique. They installed their own slides. That's why you can find an 06 with a bath and a half. Featherlight slides were also unique for Prevost conversions given they didn't use an inflatable slide seal.

You may also find the Featherlight having basement air. If it does, it is the quietest type of system. Those systems are no longer made, but it uses common AC components.

That Feathlight might have a power load shedding system that is facing parts obsolescence. I believe it can be migrated to a different control system or different load shedding method.

Featherlight still provides support and there are independents, like Donnie Myers. Featherlight was also good about providing wiring diagrams to help others provide support.

If I can help, send me a message.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

I have stayed quiet over the years on this thread because the original question was comparing XLII's. Now with this question comparing H's, I would not even second guess this decision. The electrical system alone is reason enough (for me) to choose a Vantare. The absolute best years of Vantare production is late 2005 to late 2007. There is no basement air in these years. There are no obsolete controls or load shedding in these. We migrated to Square D G-3 electronic remote/ip controlled circuit breakers which are still Square D supported. There is a bypass for every circuit on the coach. Meaning, you can push a button to turn something on if something in the electrical system fails. Try that with others. The Vantare does not have an "aux" control system for the shore power. I or Jim Marsh can walk you or a shop through any repair in the field. The weakest link would be the AMX control system which would also be issue with the other coach using it's outdated proprietary Crestron system. We have a drop in system that gives more control and MUCH SIMPLER to use than any of my competitors. The lack of air seals for the slides is 1000% better and more robust. The fact that it has an Aqua Hot is reason enough..IMHO. There are many more pros but I have probably already upset the apple cart as it is...lol I would be happy to discuss this on the phone if you like. I have been working, driving and staying on Prevost coaches non stop since 1984 and have experience with dang near every conversion. The 06 Vantare is my personal favorite of ALL coaches because it is also just before emissions as well as the Prevost "CAN BUS" system which allows you to actually make changes without the need for "reprogramming"
    Last edited by Donnie Myers; 05-16-2019 at 06:39 AM.

Donnie knows Featherlight Vantares without looking.

The motorized circuit breakers mentioned are the same used by Marathon.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Quote Originally Posted by Gil_J View Post
    Donnie knows Featherlight Vantares without looking.

The motorized circuit breakers mentioned are the same used by Marathon.
    haven't noticed the IP controlled G3 breakers in a 06 Marathon. Do they also have mechanical latching relays for all the low voltage loads that can be manually operated with control system failure also? It's been a while since I have been in one.
    I