Thread: Down the drain...

Default Down the drain...

Seems that we have a couple of sinks that seem to drain slower than they should, although there isn't much slope to the drain lines, so maybe that's all there is to it.

Any recommendations as to drain cleaners? Should I be concerned about using a household drain cleaner? Any special precautions if we do?

dalej Guest

Have you pulled the stops out and cleaned them? Most of the time, thats it!

Paul,

I would check with Liberty before using a drain cleaner. It might damage the rubber seals on the sewer dump valve. I have never had much luck with drain cleaners anyway. Have you tried using a plunger? Sometimes that will push thru any blockage. If that fails, just undo the P trap under the sink and clean it out. If the slow drain still persists, maybe a plumber's snake run into the drain pipe after the P trap is removed might do the trick. The snake will clean the inside of the pipe of grease and sediment build up. Then you should be good to go!
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Paul,

Can I presume the slow sinks are the vanity or shower? I go on a trap cleaning mission periodically due to hair ending up in the traps or on the sink stopper rod.

Slope is likely not an issue because the plumbing industry standard is 1/8 to 1/4 inch per foot, and more than that actually affects the "carry" and sometimes works against what you think is better.

Thanks for all the input....

The traps and stopper rods are the usual suspects and I expect to be addressing those shortly.

And, yes, a 1/4 inch per foot slope should do the trick nicely. This provides a "cleansing velocity" which should keep everything clear past the traps...

Sometimes vinegar and baking soda will also help.... at least it looks impressive when you mix it and send it down into the drain!!

Hi Paul, the 1/4 inch per foot works great when on level ground but not when on the road or unlevel areas. P-traps dry up and then get clogged with new use so add removing p-traps to the annual. Good Luck.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide