Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Batteries Discharging?

Default Batteries Discharging?

Well, it's a good thing we're still at the dealership, moving into the coach. We had our first "major" problem crop up. Naturally, It happened on a Saturday, when no one is here to help.

So, I'll toss out the symptoms, for general discussion and, hopefully resolution. If nothing else, thanks to the forum, I should at least be able to ask (more) intelligent questions on Monday.

1. The patio awning didn't want to deploy, acted like it didn't have the "oompf" to unfurl, but retracted OK.

2. The bedroom CO monitor went into alarm. Indicated the alarm was possibly due to low voltage.

3. Tank monitors stopped working. Filled fresh water tank to over-flow yet no indication on monitor.

4. Interior lights went very dim, allmost nothing at all. I'm assuming all the halogen lighting is low voltage ??

5. Started engine, after running just a few minutes, the interior lights came up. And, I had an appropriate display on the tank moitor.

So, it sounds to me that the house batteries somehow drained. Could this have caused the problem with the awning, tank monitors, CO monitor ?

The real question will be, I guess, is why the batteries discharged. We've been plugged in to shore power for the duration.

Any suggestions??

Where should we start on Monday??

Best yet, What should I require of the dealership to assure that the problem has been completely resolved ?

I would greatly appreciate some guidance. We are afraid to leave, but, at least the nightly price is right...

Paul,

See my response. if you need to call

Please don't call after 9:00 Getting to bed early to get Deb and Bob 00/03's new pup in Talahassee.

Thanks, Jon.

I checked the main electrical panel and verified that we were getting AC, since the cruise airs would work fine.

I noticed that the Heart Inverter panels (both) indicated an "overload" condition. So, I switched them off for a moment, not at the breaker but on the inverter panels, and then back on. They came back up looking "normal" and apparently started charging. I shut down nearly everything, cruise airs and all and still was showing a load of some 40 amps per line, so the chargers were apparently working as there should have been no other explaination for that high of a load.

Looking at the guages at the dash indicated that the house batteries were, in fact, coming up in voltage, as they are now at just over 13 volts and the "house amps " is showing about 150.

I'll monitor the house battery voltage and see if it stays put. If it starts to drop, I guess I can assume that either the chargers have stopped or the batteries simply won't hold a charge?

Thanks,

Paul

Paul,

One additional thought....if you can, try to develop an understanding of the systems and how different switch positions affect the system. Liberty powers the inverters and the battery chargers on two different circuits.

The house battery charger circuits are not to be confused with the bus chassis battery charger. The two sets of batteries are not joined.

All 24V house circuits run off the house batteries such as lights, fans, Webasto, etc. These items include the things you noticed failing to function properly. You also run certain circuits through the inverters when the shore power or generator is not supplying power such as the refrig, the TVs, the outlets, etc. To maintain those batteries they should be charged any time the bus is connected to shore power or the generator is running. When the bus engine is running they are being charged automatically by the bus alternator.

It will help you a lot if you understand the system and know how to monitor the house voltages. Liberty can walk you through that.

My guess is that if you were running the TVs some AC units and the refrig you were getting shore power into the coach, but the battery charging circuits were off. With those back on everything should be OK.

We crossed responses. I would urge you to read the inverter manual because there are features that you need to understand. It is important that you tailor the panel via the switches on the rear to your type of use of the coach. For example we are often on 30 amp service so we use the lowest charge rate for batteries. You may opt for a faster charge rate.

Glad you are back in good shape. Let the batteries get fully charged and everything will work fine.

I doubt if you have bad batteries. Liberty will not send you away with anything questionable.

So, they are not inverter/chargers? There are separate battery chargers that are powered via the main house breaker panel?

Hi Paul. I have had similar issues on my coach . The house batteries were down and out in your coach. The question is why. Did the shore power go out for a while in the neighborhood or did your inverter/charger stop working.
    Those are the two essential questions.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

You're right, Gary. The big question is WHY did the batteries fail to keep charged while connected to shore power.

We were with the coach all day, with the airs running, and sure didn't notice any loss of AC power to the bus.

But, we're almost completely moved in. So, at least there's some good news...

And, I'm hoping that the low voltage explains the other "problem" we found today.

Monday morning will be busy for the technicians...

The only other issue is what rate the inverters are charging.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Yep, that's an important issue. My old coach had a xantrex inverter and the control panel made it very easy to set up charge rates, auto gen start parameters, etc.

Doesn't look so easy with these Heart inverters.