Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zip Dee Lateral Arm Awnings

Default Zip Dee Lateral Arm Awnings

Good evening everyone,

Well tried to close the electric zip dee awning tonight. Here motor humming, but no movement. Tried to check if remote not working, and the wired switch has same result. I know there is manual override, but found out no owner's manual. Zip Dee web site also has no manual on line.

Storm coming in tomorrow (Saturday) so any help appreciated. If someone has manual and can post method of closing awning without using motor please help.

I do not have any crank for awning, and I do not see any place crank would fit.

The Zip Dee site mentions a method of manual override, but no description of how.

This awning was added just after we purchased coach. Vantare did job and will try nad call them first thing in the AM.

thank you

Kim,

I sent you a PM on this.

Richard Beecher

Hi Kim. You did not mention if the Zip Dee was electric and air. Mine has a control box located in the 3rd bay of passenger side with the OTR condensor and fan coils. The control box has manual switching as well as a reset trip button.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Hello Gary,

Mine is just electric, and not the type put on by Liberty. The control box for the wind sensor etc is in bedroom. There is no reset switch present. We have two awnings, one front and one rear. The rear is working fine. I can hear the motor whining, but no motion.

Kim

Exclamation

Kim, your description of the situation seems to point to a loose coupling or drive gear between the motor and the awning reel. The motor is running and the lack of motion is the giveaway.

It is possible that there is a slipping clutch and or a disengaged dog drive that has been disconnected, thereby putting the reel in a free mode.

Look at the assembly and try to pinpoint where the motor noise is coming from. That will likely be the area where the clutch or drive are located. Examine closely for any covered openings concealing a button or lever to push, pull, or slide, for manual operation.

This isn't much but with a storm coming I gave it a shot. Good luck

Kim,

Just wondering if you were able to reach Brent? Let me know if I need to call him to help out, I'd be happy to.

My cell is 954-292-5786.

Richard Beecher

I did try to reach him this AM. I left message on cell phone number you gav e me. Awaiting reply, but with holiday weekend could be difficult.

Kim

thanks Jim,

I borrowed the tool to do manual closing. However, when up on roof found out the the holes that should line up do not. Therefore I think am struck until Tuesday when I can get help to disassemble top of box on roof (it is as long as awning). Becausee of length not able to do alone.

thanks for help.

Kim

Kim,

I just read your reply and have a call into Brent.

Hope you can get it figured out. Sorry I couldn't help more.

Richard Beecher
    96 Vogue XL 40
    FOR SALE!

Kim,

Is this a topic for a seminar or mini seminar at one of the rallies?

There are certain things that are critical for owners to know for emergency purposes. I think as more coaches get the later model awnings and have slides maybe someone with some knowledge of these things can address emergency awning and slide retraction as two examples. There may be more.