Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zip Dee Lateral Arm Awnings

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

I am wondering what percentage of new conversions still have manual awnings available if any?

Also these automatic jobs, can you adjust the angle on them?

I don't believe any of the current conversions use the manual awnings. They are cantilevered to keep the side of the coach clean and free of attachments. While the improvement to the appearance is great there does have to be a provision for retraction.

I agree Jon,

I have the correct tool. Have now been on roof 3 times. I also borrowed another tool. None of them worked. Now must find someone to come and REMOVE awning so that I can travel.

This would be good seminar for all of us since there must be other emergency things I could do to get out of this problem.

Kim, take notes and pictures for a future seminar.

These things can get so complicated sometimes we never know enough to ask the questions that seem so obvious when we are in trouble. You are breaking new ground here and I hope something good can come of it.

I know slide owners have run into similar situations that could be shared as well.

Hi Kim. I know you have probably already tried everything under the sun but have you turned off the circuit to the awning and turned back on. Sometimes a reset will put the motor back in itscorrect orientation. Also, have you attempted extending out some more before retracting? It could be you have a broken pin and nothing will help but I thought of those two ideas. The question becomes if the motor is spinning what is holding the awning out since it is spring tensioned in the out position.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Default Travel Fix

Kim, I had a problem with my awning at Kerrville that was temporarily fixed by Nick Hessler of Centurion. He simply removed the pin from the drive or spring end of the awning and rolled it up by hand and secured it with an extra-large strap that is used for electrical wires. My awning was only 17'. Nick rolled it with the one end attached to the arm that does not have to drive, spring, or motor. One end should free-wheel on most awnings. The best thing would be to have a helper close the awning as it is rolled and then hold in in place while the pin is being replaced and the strap being attached. The nylon strap might be a bit of a problem but most Walmarts have them along with most automotive stores. If you can't find them long enough they can be locked together. Put 2 or 3 on each end of the awning for insurance while you are motoring along the highway. Mine are still in place as the parts for my awning are on order. I left Kerrville and went to San Antonio, Las Vegas, and then home in Reno. Since then we have drove the coach over 3,000 miles and these straps haven't budged. If you want you can use other types of strap, like the belt-type adjustables and secure them to something secure on top of your coach or the awning on the other side. If you have any question about this please call me at my home, 775-852-1475. This should not be a big problem. Let all of here on the forum know if you got your awing secure. That's what we are here for, to help each other.

Thanks Darl for the info.

Here is the problem, the end cap covers that end of the awning. I would have to remove the entire end cap from the front of the bus to get to that end. Yesterday while trying to get off the roof the person stabilizing the ladder moved I and almost (luckily) fell. Enough of my getting on the roof for now. Hope this storm will wait until Tuesday.

Kim

Default Good Luck!!

Kim, I hope all works out fine with the awning. I also have ZipDee. My experience with these folks has been great. I am sure you will get your problem solved tomorrow. Let us know how everything works out and the results of your factory contact.

Darl

Well the problem is solved for now. It took three people to get the awning in. Two on roof and me on an 8' ladder pushing from below. We need a new motor, and other repairs, but that can wait to return to FL after POG IV.

Thanks to everyone