Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Propane Injection

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

A little off topic but interesting.

I found this while researching this subject.

Thought it would be interesting to all those who run diesel pick-ups.

http://members.shaw.ca/k2pilot/Propane%20article.html

Jeff: I hate to break the news to you but our Series 60's are GM Turbo Diesels. The article joe posted dealt with the larger units, where we are. Most of the city busses in the SF Bay area run on natural gas. Don't poo poo the idea just yet.
    Get a Bus and join the fun.
    Harry

Shirley & Harry / 2000 Liberty / 2008 GMC Envoy Denali

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

So far I have been told of 3, two-stroke, DD that have it.

Two by what I feel a very credible source, but with literally no details accept for one of them was a charter in Australia that he rode on and spoke with the driver and one he has an e-mail address of the owner who lives out west, that he will send when he gets back home.

A third is a fellow with a 318 but his system is on demand verses constant on. I asked him why and waiting for further facts. He also specified a change in timing and a 65gal. tank, did it himself 10yrs ago. Am planning on talking with this guy further.

I have a very convenient propane dealer to fill at if I did it to the Pete. I know it is a 4-stroke but I could see if mil age goes up and fuel costs go down. There are kits for under 1000. I use currently use around 50 gal of diesel a day so if 1/4 of that needed to be propane that is 1 vertical aluminum fork truck tank very easily mounted behind the cab. The other bennies they boast are great but it is the decreased fuel costs that draw me.

I will proceed with fact finding.

This propane dealer has a diesel that has a set-up that was done by the folks in Gurnee, ill. I believe he said is is one that is constant on and uses 25% propane. Once again a 4-stroke but I am looking forward to talking with that driver this week.

Exclamation Banks and other biased opinions

I really don't know what the hell I am doing in this debate because there is no way I am going to make a change to propane injection but curiosity led me to investigate. Banks has their say but it is not completely unbiased. It does address the fuel savings angle used here a justification for installing this equipment. For those POGers that might want a more funky review and instructions on building your own system(NOT ADVISED) see Mr. Sharkey's site.. He also has an interesting "Hippy-Like forum. Finally, if you really want performance try Parley Diesel Performance's Nitrous Oxide injection. 300 HP gain? That's what they claim but how long will the engine last?

Enough of this fun. It's Labor Day that is exactly what I am going to do; get my 26' SeaRay ready to sell. Have a great holiday everyone!

Unless you want to be a permanent member of the TBC (two bus club) you have to ask yourself what effect does this conversion have on resale.

Now if you're going to keep your coach until they play "When the saints come marching in" it may be a different story. But when you see Harry do an upyear then anyone is game for that next bus.

Mike

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Darl
    Good site you posted. I like the electric vehicle pusher trlr. I read it and it did not mention anything about a mileage change. Looks like if you are interested in a power boost this is pretty proven. I'd like more MPG.

Mike
    All the components could fit in a shoebox minus the tank. Take it off and put it on the next one. Kinda like fuzzy dice.

I know it would be nice to be the last guy in a group pulling a hill who had to downshift.
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 09-03-2007 at 08:55 PM.

A friend of mine with a 45 ft Hemphill (entertainer) coach indicates he's looking into nitrogen injection. Basically he indicated to me that there is some unit which bolts on, and converts water to nitrogen, which is injected and gives approximately a 25% boost in mileage on an 8V engine.

I don't know much more, but could ask for info from my friend, if you'd like?

Ray

VegasDogMan Guest

Ray - don't you mean Hydrogen? There's no Nitrogen in water and nitrogen as a gas I believe is non-flammable.

You are probably correct, although I was pretty sure he said nitrogen! But, knowing my friend, it probably was hydgrogen.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Today I spoke at length with the fellow, at Ashland propane, who purchased 4 kits and installed them. Here is what I learned.

These systems cost 1800+tank of your choice.

These are using 20% propane/80% diesel and are on constant.

After figuring out how he wanted mounting, on the first truck, the system installed on the remaining three in 2 or 3 hours per truck.

He has them on Cat motors, straight-6, 4-stroke w/turbo, smaller though, a C-6 or I think. 2002 KW intermediate sized straight trucks. The systems were installed 2003

He runs Mobil One 10000 miles and it comes out clean.

The million dollar question for me he couldn't answer. Fuel costs before and after. They have a local fleet with frequent random stops and although knowing the fleet#s they never saw the need to check mileage on any 1 truck. Since adding propane injection they draw it right off the main tank and do not meter it either. The first truck ran a 8 gal fork truck tank for a while and the driver said it would last a couple of days.

As well as increased power he observed a noticeable difference in throttle position at any given speed. He also said there is a big difference in the way the engine sounds and runs quieter and smoother.

They now run it on one of the fleet diesel P/U's as well, but only recently

The dealer has the info to apply for a 4000$ government tax credit for purchasers that they enjoyed for each of the four systems they purchased.

Just some food for thought. I am going to continue to inquire.

If we could cut our fuel costs on our Pete by just 5% we could take that savings and survive down in the Keys for a couple of months in the middle of the winter on it
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 09-04-2007 at 07:12 PM.