Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Planes.. Shouldn't be here !!

lewpopp Guest

Default Planes.. Shouldn't be here !!

I was talking to a bunch of guys this morning and one was a pilot. I mentioned how I joined this POG and all the a-holes wanted to talk about is airplanes. I said all I knew is that you guys spoke of a "V" tail and some other crap.

My pilot friend said" oh, you mean those Doctor Killers."

He explained that it was the most unsafe Beachcraft there was. As far as I know, he's an expert in my judgement.

I respect his judgement beause he is a 777 captain and knows airplanes. I wish I could follow a discussion with you air freaks and him and see where it ends.

I'll get the hell off before my long deceased mother haunts me for ragging on you poor pilots. There is only one thing that comes out of the sky and it always lands on the car. Better than my head.

Hey Louie,
    Your friend is correct about the "doctor killer", but it wasn't the plane, it was the doctors who usually went out and bought new Bonanza's with little experience and no instrument rating thinking they were invincible.

I usually don't post here about planes, thought it was a Prevost site, but this will be fun to watch!

Lew,

I'm surprised your 777 driver friend didn't go on to say all those little planes should be banned from the sky.

I really hate to get serious on this forum, especially about planes, but the reality is that if a plane is certified and well maintained it is safe to fly, but the weak link is as Tom points out the pilots that do not work to maintain their skills.

I have pulled JDUB's chain a little about his plane, but it is one of the best general aviation aircraft flying. It is well built and a joy to fly. Ask your 777 friend if he thinks the Cirrus is a good plane. Right now the pilots of that particular make of plane are doing themselves in at a fairly brisk pace.

Flying is serious business and when you get someone with enough money to buy a plane that has more capability than the pilot possesses you have a potent and often deadly combination. As an example, my plane is pressurized, has all kinds of weather detection equipment, navigational capability galore, and is certified for flight in known icing. It has the capability to bring a pilot with more balls than skills right to the scene of the accident.

It ain't the plane its the pilot.

Well said Jon,

I remember as a young man, giving check rides to guys who wanted to rent from us on weekends (part time job while going to school and building hours). The doctors who were gods (in the operating room) and the airline captains (who were to close to god, to often) were the toughest to deal with. How well I remember, "your going to tell me how to land this toy, when I fly a 707 every day" or "don't tell me when to flair, I was removing kidneys when you were a gleam in your fathers eye". Man, they were tough. But, they did it my way, (at least while I sat there) or they didn't get the keys, and they all made it back.

Thankfully, most airline captains understand the risks of flying and the good ones are very concerned about "doing it right". There are good and bad in every profession.

And I think the V tail bonanza is a great airplane. That 777 captain probably cant afford one with the pay cuts they've been taking.

Question Beechcraft or 777 - Which has been around longer?

I can't agree more with what has been said. And Tom, this is the only thread on the site we are encouraged to talk about planes in and Jeff put it up so those of us who were pilots, as well as Prevo guys, could chat about plane stuff, so don't be afraid to plane-a-way.

I am kind of amazed a 777 captain would say that, but I am also not surprised. As an instrument rated pilot of 26 years, I have heard my share of comments in the air. Regional Approach points me out to some Southwest pilot and his reply is, "I have Marcus Welby in sight". Of course I have ripped a few ahole airline pilots as well, so it evens out I guess. Funny thing is, a large number of ABS or B2OSH members are airline pilots or military pilots. The oldest active pilot in the US flies a V35 Bonanza and he was a career test pilot and airline pilot. I reckon I will let him vote my proxy. When the last 777 is resting in the Arizona desert, someone will still be flying a 70 year old Bonanza.

At the end of the day, I fly because I love flying, not because I have to. Between annual recurrent training and flying my family around, I consider myself to be a very safe and experienced pilot. Many people cringe when they discover I am a pilot because they think I just recently learned to fly, but people who know me know I have been flying since college and they are always ready to fly with me, but the doctor killer image abounds with everyone else.

But I also hear the same thing about these folks who don't have all their original teeth buying $1,000,000 motorcoaches that weigh 40,000 lbs tearing down the road without any training or experience.

Jerry,
    After 30 years of ownership of many single and multi fixed wing planes, I am fighting the R-44 bug. I thought MPD was replacing the aviation bug, but it never goes away. Please help me!!!!

Buses, Birds (planes) and Bikes on one board, I must be in heaven.... Can't wait for all the BS to fly at the Rally.

Well Tom, If Lew ever had any doubts about how insane pilots are, you just erased them. Why not start with an Osprey?

Lew, Tom aspires to an aircraft designed to beat the earth into submission.

Just remember that a helicopter is nothing more than a fatigue machine trying to shake all its parts loose.

And you need to bring your coach or plane to OSH for the POG2OSH gathering. The unwashed and unannointed will commune with nature, aircraft and Prevost coaches simultaniously.

I am flying the evil, doctor killing Bonanza while the trusty Hitler youth (Jon & Mike) will be sliding in on polished wheels. I think Ken is going to be a swamper for someone; we just haven't decided what to do with a Mooney guy yet.

What plane(s) do you have? I have to say that now because Jon has his own airline.

We'd better get an extension for the POG rally. There ain't no way we can be talked out in the allotted length of time.

On another forum I just saw where a Cirrus (brand new) lost its primary display in hard IFR (bad weather for Lew) and fortunately the husband/wife team on board were able to get over the shock, use their fall back instruments and get it on the ground. It was reported Cirrus is aware of the underlying cause. The wife had more than 2000 hours and was acting PIC and the husband had 1000 hours. It was speculated that had the pilots had experience levels of the average Cirrus owner they would either have pulled the cord (Lew: the Cirrus has a whole plane parachute) or augered in.

Anybody in this bunch of crazies own a Cirrus? Anybody want to?

lewpopp Guest

I am the happiest person in the world to open up this can of worms. Oh, how happy I am.. Now you won't be calling me names on the other subject sections.