Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Central Vac

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Thanks Jim yes it shuts back off as soon as I release the contacts on that coil.

Wires have continuity.

I will make those two tests and get back.

Lightbulb Picture Please

A little hectic here today. My daughter's 18 B day.

Post a picture of the unit so one can see the components and how they are connected. The knowledge of others in the group will come forth when you focus the questions. What's important now is to figure out the functional validity of each part of the component assembly and then how all the parts relate to each other. You can sketch out your own schematic of what you have and keep it for future reference. You may be better off adding a switch in the coach that manually turns on the unit when required. Can you tell if when the unit was modified that any original parts and pieces were discarded (removed)?

A whole other question is. Do you want a central vac. at all? I personally don't like them. They don't have as much cleaning ability as a regular house vacuum cleaner, and the long hose is a pain in the a__ and when they break down you have to f___ around with them to end up with an old unit that is marginal at best, (and a pain to empty) instead of buying a whole new and current technology vacuum cleaner that can be used anywhere not just in the bus.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Jim the resistance on that coil is 40 or 50k and I get no reading at all out of the transformer.

My Bus 348.jpg

In responce to the other question. It's powerful, easy to clean, compact, I do not have to carry an additional vac and it is an original component that I would like to keep. The suction plumbing is designed real short and simple should there be a clog.
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 09-14-2007 at 11:02 AM.

Lightbulb

Question
    What is bad the transformer or the coil?

It sounds like the transformer is bad. It seems from the schematic that it makes the supply voltage for the relay. That way you have low voltage at the hose connection for safety.

Examine the transformer for v. in and v. out. It might state pri v., sec, v., or ?

If none look at the relay for working voltage.

If none apply 12v. to the coil of the relay to see if it works at that voltage.

If it seems too slow or weak to hold the closed condition, up the test voltage maybe to 24v. Too high of voltage will burn out the relay proceed with caution.

If none of that is what you want to do, then buy a new transformer to supply the correct voltage for a new relay and wire them into the circuit.

JIm,

Get off the computer and celebrate your daughters 18th. She'll be gone before you know it. Enjoy the moment.

Mike

wrongagain Guest

having the misfortune of having to deal with a lot of low voltage wiring, I will say this, if that transformer is not warm when the unit is activated then as a rule it is no good.
    transformers tend make heat, they also have a slight hum to them when they are on.
    so, that being said, break out the test meter to check for voltage in and out of the transformer, or,
    use your mechanics stethoscope to listen to it, or,
    use your infrared thermometer to check for a temp change between it and its surrounding environment.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

It was the transformer, 12 bucks. Another 22 year old original accessory that is repaired without replacement.

It is tucked behind some panels in the plumbing bay starboard side up against the holding tank along with the Dave Mathews valve and the odor control.

My Bus 160.jpg

My Bus 354.jpg
    The rear of this compartment where the pumps and filters reside is designed with a bunch of wasted space and this is where I am moving our U-Line ice maker.

My Bus 358.jpg
    All back together with a quick buff on the fresh and holding tanks