Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rv Headsets E S P

More stuff from BlueAnt as listed by the high priest of geekdom over at Gizmodo.com.

Picture 32.jpg

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/wireless/...lex-247485.php

Mike
    Last edited by MangoMike; 01-09-2008 at 02:12 PM.

So since you can't use the one you have I can expect to see it arrive at the Casa del JDUB in a day or so?

Just mail it to the same address you sent the rancid steak, dog turd w/ encrusted homework paper, #2 rancid steak, pizza-in-the-middle-of-my-state-dinner, mini OSU laser bat light, rancid steak branding iron and football helmet chip server.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    Guys,

You are supposed to possess the skills to drive the big bus.

You don't need headsets, CBs, walkie talkies, or hand signals. You need to be able to park them using your mirrors and knowledge of what is around you, and where the corners of the bus are. If you are unsure, you as driver need to get out of the seat and walk around the bus to verify there is nobody or no thing in your path.

Having stuff like the devices listed above and a helper to guide you is like training wheels on a Harley.

Let the flaming begin.
    WOW Come on, Jon, tell us how you really feel about these electronic gizmos
    Talk about Lew being off his meds. What has happened to the kinder, gentler Jon??
    Like the song says, "WATCH OUT FOR THAT TREE."
    And, what does that "round tires for now" statement mean?

Hot Button topic for me Ted. We have 45,000 pounds strapped to our butts, and we need to know at every moment where the corners are.

We have to navigate tight city streets, campgrounds with kids at play, road construction with narrow lanes, and Cracker Barrel and Wal-Mart parking lots.

For a newcomer to be less than skilled in finessing a coach into a back-in campground space is understandible for a very short period of time after the purchase. I had to readjust to the 45' coach after 250,000 miles with the 40' coach so I know that sometimes we can't hit the spot we want the first time even if we have some experience, but at some point it is time to be able to hit the marks with the coach, first time, every time without assistance.

I expect to hear about helpers being safe and all that stuff, but as long as a coach driver comes to rely on outside assistance the coach driver will never rise to the level of professionalism required to drive buses like ours.

If you ever want proof of what I am saying spend a day in a busy campground with back-in spaces and watch the carnival that takes place as wives and husbands try to work together to get their rigs into a space. These people are on our roads.

OK, I was doing a test to see how far I could tow an H2 with the parking brake on before the faux pas became evident.

When I finally did stop the tires were less round than I would prefer. I learned a few things. First, check and double check stuff before moving the bus. (I now use a check list). Second, our buses will start out and run right up through the gears as though there is nothing behind them even with a 6700 pound vehicle with its brakes on hitched to the rear. Third, some folks will never let me forget that.

For those recording data, 1/4 mile is all it takes to flatten a new set of tires right down to the steel cords. Except for the part on the street, the rest of the tires were OK.

Default Some after dinner debate......

Okay, I'll bite. I don't totally disagree, but I need to work my dinner off.

Professional Bus Drivers Rarely;

-Have to back into a space in Yellowstone where the parking stump has to fit between the exhaust and the 8V92 engine block when the coach settles because it is a Prevost and they all lean at some point.

-Have to back a coach into a small, unlit storage unit with poor back-up lights and an even poorer camera.

-Pull over a hump large enough that the Liberty installed generator baffle becomes endangered for the second time

-Back into a designated tailgating spot were the obstacle is trees that you have to have to be real close to but don't want rubbing on the top of the coach.

-Pull into anywhere towing anything where the clearance is extremely tight and the visiabilty is poor.

I have never seen a seated coach driver pulling a trailer. I watched 15 coaches pull up in the lot at the Insight Bowl; not one of them didn't have a dent, scrape, bump or missing light of some kind. The drivers don't own the coach they drive and it doesn't cost nearly as much to repaint / repair a white seated coach or even an entertainer coach as it does a motorhome when you get an ouchie on it.

I'm not too proud to have someone take a qualified look. Usually it's me, but sometimes it's not.

And the goofy couple parking tandem is exactly correct. What a rodeo, but usually worth the price of admission.

Huge difference between taking a look, or having somebody spot tree limbs compared to a driver incapable of getting into a parking spot without his co-pilot guiding the coach every foot of the way.

I have been in campgrounds where there are some serious "gotchas", like boulders down low out of sight of the mirrors, or a tree limb the mirrors or camera won't pick up. Having someone stand on the boulder so they are visible or giving a hand signal to stop because of trees out of camera or mirror range makes perfect sense.

The flip side is as soon as someone sees a coach trying to get into a site and the co-pilot is running around back and forth behind the coach giving directions, it tends to bring out all the amateur traffic cops and soon there are three folks all giving directions and what should be a simple parking job turns into an olympic event.

dalej Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    it tends to bring out all the amateur traffic cops and soon there are three folks all giving directions and what should be a simple parking job turns into an olympic event.

That is one of the worst parts of RV Parks. You pull in with a Prevost, not only does a lot of
    people want to see a bus conversion but they want to get a closer look and end up trying to help
    park.

And some Parks, the GUY has to help park you because the park doesn’t want you backing over
    the water of electrical box. They are so good at sitting in the golf cart and watching your every
    move, I swear if they would just close their eyes, I could do better. I love it when I hit it on the
    first try using my mirrors...they think...this guy is good!

That was really nice at the Kerrville Rally, the pull-thru’s were so big everyone knew you would
    be fine, and no one came to help, of course all the Prevosts pulled in within such a short time
    frame.
    Last edited by dalej; 01-09-2008 at 10:27 PM.

Default Headset

I have a tank of fuel invested in Bluetooth headsets and have finally found one I like, Blue Eagle for Interstate Connections sold at Petro truck stops and some TA's.

About $99.00, and worth it. Loud, clear, long battery life, big buttons, boom mic, and head band. I use it every day. Don't buy the Blue Parrot version as I did, short battery life and died about 3 months after I got it.

I remember pulling into a Tree lined Campground in Alabama while driving my Liberty home from Florida. I was by myself . This park had low drooping branches everywhere and Trees and Trunks at every turn. If it wasn't for the help of a very kind old southerner, I would have done serious damage in attempting to negotiate this park. He guided me thru several narrow turns into a grassy site. A very gracious person. When I got out to shake his hand and thank him, he looked at my coach and said ' you have been very blessed'. I will never forget that encounter.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide