Thread: Jerry's Carpet

ken&ellen Guest

Default Jerry's Carpet

Jerry, My wife, Ellen, saw your post on Prevost-Stuff about the carpet. I asked you if you were going to install or have it done. You responded that you were going to have it installed. According to my wife...I did not ask the question correctly. Did you have to take out the driver and passener seat? Additionally, is the install being performed by a local carpet dealer or some one who does RV & Boat installations? Ken

The guy that did the interior on our Scout also does the same work on RV's, so we let him do it.

They will remove all the seats and the couch since they are going to recover them, but even if we were just going to change the carpet, all that stuff would have to be taken out since it is bolted to the floor. There is also a small amount of carpet around the bed.

He prefers installing it himself to make sure it turns out right while all the stuff is removed (it has to run up under the dash in the driver's area) and to remove the old carpet, install the new (including the step side pieces and trim was +/-$600. The cost of the carpet was about $400 (almost 20 yards @ $20/yd.)

We are going with ultra leather and memory foam for the front seats and the chairs across from the couch. I will try to get some progress photos to show the process. We are trying to find someone to put the wallpaper in today. Seems the local wallpaper shops don't do RV's. Go figure.

And I won't wallpaper with my wife. We did it once and our marriage barely survived.

ken&ellen Guest

Default Wall paper...did you say wall paper?

Ellen was going to wall paper the bathroom area. It is such a small area it should go smoothly......let us know how you make out. I was wondering about the air ride seat as to the ease of removable? Are you taking your coach to the installer or is he coming to your place? I only ask for security reasons....most of the carpet establishments in our area do not lend themselves to overnight parking. Ken

The guy who does the interior (and will do the carpet install) has a large shop and fenced yard area. He can get the coach inside the shop, so it will be in there for two weeks. It is also okay for them to have it outside as the area behind the shop is secure and it is in a good neighborhood.

This guy is Jon level anal. I had just painted my Scout when I took it to him and he completely covered it in packing blankets. Only the doors and tailgate were open and everything that could get scratched was covered as well as the dash.

I don't reckon he will cover the coach, but I will bet the door, front panel / dash area and the galley + floor will be covered while they have it. I will also bet he establishes a no fly zone around the coach as to not get the stainless scrached or dented. He is a zealot, which means everyone wants him to do their work. We reserved the date two months ago when he came out to the hanger to look the coach over. He mostly does classic cars, hot rods, boats & RVs.

Oops, I forgot you asked about the seat. You just unbolt it and remove the air line / unplug the electric and take it out. The pedestal and all comes out.
    Last edited by Jerry Winchester; 03-23-2006 at 12:06 PM.

lewpopp Guest

I remodeled the front entrance(among other areas) of the coach and used some mirrored 1/8" plexiglass. I would like to replace it witha less fragile mirrored Lexan of something comparable.

I used stainless to the toe kicks but was unable to locate large enough pieces to do the sides. I would guess Lexan would be cheaper, but who cares really on this site.

All kidding aside, I would like some of your experiences.

Ken,

Here is a photo of the seat removed from the base before we took the carpet out. You can check out the finished photos over on the other thread.

Jerry

Jerry,
    Help me out, what other thread?
    Kevin

The "Updating the Royale Conversion" thread. I just finished putting the photos on.