Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane

Default Hurricane

By the looks of that hurricane some of you boys must be thinking about getting out of Texas.

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

Don't know about the Texas boys, but I can tell you we are looking at it real close in Louisiana. I live 26 miles from the Gulf of Mexico. If that baby turns and heads north; we're out 'a here! North bound, cap!! The coach is loaded up, full of diesel, water, family photos, important papers - sitting on GO!
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Hi Tuga. your more than welcome at my home, if you don't mind the endless Fires and recurring earthquakes.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Thanks Gary, we will just brave the 150 mph winds and tornados

Nice of you to offer though!

Are the fires being contained?
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

The Zaca fire has burned 115000 acres so far and is not expected to be out until mid September. It is touch and go for those homes and ranches near by.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

GDeen Guest

Dean is likely going to be a historic storm strength wise. This one will be very much worth watching. Most of the intensity models have it at 150 knots sustained in the Gulf - that is 170 mph plus! When they have that potential a few minor changes in atmospheric conditions one way or another can edge it up to never before type strength category, or down to still very bad. Either way, it is looking like a very powerful storm.

The latest track models are now converging nicely on a Mexico/US border area landfall which will spare the heart of the gulf oil and gas production and refining infrastructure. Last night one of their more reliable models was still insisting on an upper Texas coast strike which was of concern, but now it has fallen in line with the rest. That is good news for gas prices, good news for you Tuga, but bad news for McAllen.

It's still a little premature, but it looks like we dodged another one
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

ken&ellen Guest

Default Free camping

Any POG member who is in harm's way is always welcome at our home in Springfield, GA. We have acres of parking and access from I-95. We hope and pray that all remain safe in the upcoming hurricane season. Ken & Ellen

Ken & Ellen,

Thanks for the kind offer and hospitality

As someone who has been dealing with hurricanes for over 50 years it is nice to hear an offer like that. Karen and I, like many others who live in areas that are prone to natural disasters, have an evacuation plan. We have relatives and friends lined up no matter which direction that we have to travel to. We have done this so many times, it is almost second nature.

I'm sure many people wonder; why do they stay and live in an area that is prone to hurricanes. The answer is two fold: first, hurricanes do not flood a specific area but once in a while. Years can go by without a threat. Second, family, friends, and businesses are worth the risk. I will admit however, that with the subsidence of the coastal marsh lands, we are considering moving a little further north. But, still remaining close to family and friends. We love south Louisiana and if we move at all it will be just a few miles north in order to escape the flooding. Neither my home nor my businesses have ever flooded. If they do, then we will move to higher ground; but it won't be more than 10 or 12 miles north. That will be far enough to be high and dry, and still stay close to family and friends.

I can't imagine moving to an area where I don't know anyone. Karen and I live in the house that I grew up in. I have lived in this house since I was 3 years old. It will take more than a little water and wind to make me leave

Thanks again for the offer, we deeply appreciate it.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

lewpopp Guest

Tuga,

You should not worry about making friends where ever you go whether it be temporary or permanent. You two are a couple that even the POG people like you. Now that's a tough job done.