Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Picking up coach...

ajhaig Guest

Default Picking up coach...

It looks like I'll be picking up the coach in Indiana next Monday. My plan is to spend two days at Panterra Coach going over all the systems so I'm comfortable with how everything works (the people at Panterra strongly recommended spending that much time).

In that I've never driven anything close to the size of a coach I'm a bit nervous about getting behind the wheel for the first time. Any advice, tips, wisdom, etc. would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

AJ

If possible, see if the Pantera people will give you some behind-the-wheel instruction. When I picked up my coach, I paid to have a buddy fly out with me to do most of the driving (and I'd driven motorhomes for years).

Main thing to do if you have to drive alone, without a coach, is try to stay on main roads. Remember to turn WIDE!! Basically watch your back wheels in the mirrors before you initiate any turn, make sure that they are going to clear the curbs etc.

A vehicle of this size does not stop quickly. Do not tailgate. Take it slow, and don't let anyone try to rush you or make you drive faster. You're bigger than them, so heck with it.

When driving straight, position your body near the left hand side of the lane, somewhere around the wheel marks in the lane. If you keep the left side near the white line, the right side will take care of itself. Try to drive in the second lane on the freeways to avoid merging traffic.

Best of luck!

Ray

AJ,

If at all possible, try to minimize the amount of traffic you have to drive in until you get a feel for the bus. Hopefully, you won't have to leave during rush hour traffic. It is a little unnerving the first time you get on the road, but you will probably start to settle down after you get an hour or so behind you.

Do make sure you are familiar with the operation of your Jake or exhaust brake, and as stated before, leave plenty of distance between you and any other vehicles. Once you get comfortable handling the bus, you will love the driving experience. Good luck. Dale
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

dalej Guest

AJ, congrats...it will go great!

Print out the names and numbers on the members map under quick links. It will be nice to have in the bus in case you need help on the way home.

Default Congrats

Congratulations!!!!

I would echo Ray & Roadrunner, drive way in front of yourself, it will NOT stop on a dime, and you can get in over your head quick. Get a feel for downshifting and running your jake, to control downhill descents too. Nice to practice out on the open road without too much traffic.

Watch your overhead clearance too, find out in advance what your verticle clearance is, and dymo tape it in the cockpit somewhere.

Make sure to call your insurance agent to bind coverage b4 you hit the road as well.

Have a great trip!

Hello AJ. I would find a large empty parking lot and practice turns left and right . It is important to understand clearances using your side mirrors. When you pull off the road, make sure it is where large Rigs or RV's pull off, not at any car gas stations, or small off ramps. Watch and read all signs indicating speeds, curves, etc. Know your overall height of your bus and verify clearances in Gas stations, RV parks, etc.
    When choosing a RV Park make sure you tell the people the length and heith of your RV before they direct you to a space. Sometimes the roads have tree limbs which are far too low for Prevosts and the radius turns are too tight.
    Take your time and enjoy, its not hard at all once you've got some miles behind you.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Gary, I think the parking lot is a great idea. As I read your post a couple more things came to mind ...

1. If you are getting into a turn lane where multiple lanes turn always get on the outside lane. That's the right side if turning left, and left side, if turning right. Stay wide so you don't cut people off on the inside lane.

2. Fuel stops. If at all possible fuel at a truck stop.

Ray

AJ,

I don't know your driving experience so maybe we are making this a bigger deal than it really is. But if the bus is the biggest thing as your post says do yourself a huge favor and get a commercial driver test handbook from your local DMV and really study it.

Then as suggested go find a big empty parking lot and practice turning, backing, parking, etc. Learn the brake system, learn what the gauges mean, and only then take to the road.

I would suggest you get a support network in place. Get a few of the guys with experience in your type coach with your engine and transmission to be ready to take your calls. Do not feel embarassed because everyone here started as a newbie. Don't hesitate to call your buddies to verify if gauges are OK or if they are telling you of a problem, or if you want to know how something works

When you get on the road and in traffic for the first time don't pack the family in the bus, but have your wife or a "spotter" and any time you are worried about if you have room, ask your spotter to help you. Do yourself a favor and do not tow for a while. Having the whole family is a huge distraction and you may hit a rock or two. (That's an inside joke that you will soon hear about now that I brought it up). If you have to bring the family on the first trips get them to understand not to bother you except to tell you when you are about to hit something you cannot see, like a big rock.

You will want to learn where your corners are, up and down. The stuff that is going to bend metal will be down low and might be in your blind spots. The stuff that is going to break stuff on the roof is what you missed while you were trying to look around your bus down low.

After a while this all becomes second nature.

Default You Will Do Just Great

AJ, you have gotten a ton of great advice that I'm sure you will take to heart. Mine is, when your right leg starts shaking, just find a good place to pull over and take some time to relax. You can do this and in a few days you will wonder what the big deal was. Just take it easy, don't get in a hurry and drive way ahead of yourself. Remember that stopping your Marathon is nothing like stopping a car so plan ahead. Go have some fun.

ajhaig Guest

Thanks for all the great input.

The people at Panterra are going to spend time with me on the road which should be helpful and all my initial driving will be on interstate highways. I'm borrowing orange cones from our local highway department to set up in a parking lot to help get the feel of the bus.

Jon - I do consider myself a bit of a motorhead in that I've owned over 50 cars and have done many club track events (also have 114 hours in my flight book!). Much to my wife's frustration anytime I need to move a desk or chair I rent the 24 foot Budget truck, but this will be a new experience.

Our two little ones will not be on the first leg of the trip but will be from Michigan to Boston. We had seats installed so they will be secured in their car seats which should help.

I'm very much looking forward to getting on the road and truly appreciate all the great advice.