Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Best deal on tires

What I meant about taking risks came out wrong.

I mean that if we lose a tire we are likely to be far from home where we have the opportunity to buy from someone we know after we shopped for the tire, and worse, we have a tire size that will likely not be on the shelf at a truck stop or tire store.

As a local you are in far better shape than when 1000 miles from home.

Just Plain Jeff Guest

Quote Originally Posted by garyde View Post
    Well Jon, as you said on your first post, this can be a contentious debate. It is beginning to sound like the classic 'Ford vs Chevy' arguments I remember from the 60's. Chevy won by the way.
    I'm pretty sure that you meant to say Ford won, by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain Jeff View Post
    I'm pretty sure that you meant to say Ford won, by the way.
    I don't think so.

Isn't it: F requent O verhaul R epair D aily, or ford

While we are talking about tires, my steer and drive tires are new, but my tag tires are Bridgestone that were manufactured in October 01, so I assume they were probably installed in 2002.

Of course, they look like new and have no cracks and the bus was always inside out of the sun. I am wondering if they are safe to run on the tag for a while longer or if I should change them before POG IV?

When I had the bus weighed with everything at full capacity, the tags were considerably under their weight limit, so as a general rule, they are probably running about half their limit. I am aware that they are at that age where they are boderline, I just don't know if I can be a little more lienient with them since they are on the tag axle? I lost an inside drive tire a couple years ago while going through a construction area in MO. The tire blew out and took an air bag with it, so I do know the hazzards of having a blow out.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Exclamation

Dale, not sure if this helps you answer your question yourself.

http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/...tire+date+code

I'm not sure how to find it or if it was on this forum, but I posted a response from Michelin on the useful life of tires. The answer was that they age out in five years regardless of tread depth.

At our coach weights and the speeds driven a blowout could have serious consequences. If all that happens is an inconvenience due to the flat tire we are lucky, but the potential to rip things up underneath is high, and the risk of injury cannot be ignored.

The problem is that we either have to accept what the manufacturers say, or we have to develop a data base that is tabulated based on data provided by everybody that runs their tires until they wear out or blow out. Anybody out there with old tires with lots of tread want to risk life limb and property in the interests of providing POG members with valuable data?

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

This Ford verses Chevy comparison that is trying to be applied here? What if one of the two was 40% more expensive than the other?

If a blowout occures 99.9% of the time the tire is either outdated, run on low air pressure, previously damaged in some way or you run over something large enough to cause it to blow.

I knew what you ment Jon, it's all good. Rained out again, can you believe it.

Chevy & Ford thing? Wait till the Hudsons come back. They used to eat Chevy's & Fords for lunch. Hey Lew how about it?

Harry

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Gerat post Harry. I really neaded that about now.

Harry, isn't Hudson a river in New York?