Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best deal on tires

And me and Roger abide by Reagan's theory of trust but verify. That is why Michelins are on the steer.

Quote Originally Posted by garyde View Post
    Tuga, Michelin is the only tire I will ever use on my 50,000 lb Prevost. Its a no brainer. I have priced tires of different brands and the $$$ does not come close when considering my safety , my familly's safety and everyone driving around me.
    Good point Gary. I have decided that I am going to buy the Michelins for the steer axle. They will cost about $600+ more than the Chinese tires; it is just not worth the worry. Maybe after a few years when the Chinese tires are proven, I may consider them for the drive and tag axles, but for now Michelins are going on the front.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Oh Yeah if they cost more they must be better. French resturants charge high prices for their meals. Are they any better tasting or more nourishing. I don't cater to the French. They are definately not our friends. Ie. They charge us enourmous rent on the space for our WWII cemetary in their country. The cemetary contains our heroes that lost their lives saving their sorry French a#*'s.

dalej Guest

HARRY!!! you control yourself! Remember your other foot in on a banana peel. Just take a breath....now is'nt that better.

I have Toyo on my ffronts and I was told by southern Oregon Diesel that they are better and customers like them better becaiuse the are less prone to sidewall cracking. Over two years and they are doing great. Will go with them on my drives this december. $400 a tire instead of 600.
    GregM

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Greg

A worthy try but you are going to convice VERY few.

What are you running on your Pete, Joe?

I understand you can take huge risks because you do not stray too far from home.

I have to be candid and will probably irritate a few on this forum, but while owners express a lot of reservations about the proper tire, there is a greater probability they will end up with a brake chamber failure or an air bag failure before my Chinese tires fail if the components under their bus are allowed to get too old.

Since all of our tires have to meet DOT standards, and unless they are abused by running at low pressures, hitting curbs, or are allowed to be run long after they age out, they should give very reliable service no matter whose name is on the side.

But I have found what is under the bus is largely ignored.

lewpopp Guest

Jon, you did not irrate me because you make a lot of sense on this subject

Just for giggles I'll put in here that I had previously posted on Prevost stuff that I put Toyo on the front and they handle and show no wear after 2 years. Sidewalls look great and I have them on the front.

Well Jon, as you said on your first post, this can be a contentious debate. It is beginning to sound like the classic 'Ford vs Chevy' arguments I remember from the 60's. Chevy won by the way.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

I tried to stay away from this thread but could not help it after reading Gregs post.

That was my intention because when I first bought our truck I too felt very differently so I can appreciate all the concerns.

I hope with time some might begin to agree.

This is a subject that we have been through thorouly before and I have concluded that I've already done the best I could previously chiming in on it. That was some time ago and we have many new members since so for the benifit of those:

Jon I could not even tell you what is on the steers right now accept to say It isn't Mr. michalin or bridgstone. I will look in the morn. and post tomorrow afternoon. You understand I can take huge risks? I know that didn't come out right, right?

I was pushed away from the big boys because I was aggrivated when putting new ones on, they were concistantly very hard to balance. I would leave the tire shop with new skins and a wobble that wasn't previously there and just got tired of fighting with the things.

I was plesently suprised to discover that to be a non-issue with ANY of the other makes as well as no difference in preformance or milage as well as a huge cost savings. My rump may not be as discriminating as some but if switching brands but not tread patterns I have never been able to feel any difference in ride. Currently I have no balance devices of any kind on the tires and they mount up that way first time every time.

If the big boys were only say only 10% more instead of 40% more would I then use them? No.

I have not found any area where we can save so much so easily while compramising nothing, actually gaining. win-win

There are quite a few other members who are in the trucking industry and would love to here from them again now.

It's gettin late, time to go to work. Have a great day
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 08-14-2007 at 05:34 AM.