Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best deal on tires

Tuga: A1 Jon is correcto, I am having to work too much, but I still read the forum when I get time. New guys are hired and in place, just need to get them up and running.

I am running Michelins on the steer and old Michelins on the tag and Double Coin Chinese on the Drive. So far so good. If today I had to buy more tires to replace the steer, I will probably go with the French brand and transfer the old steer to the tag. However down the pike as Jon and I accumulate a few more miles and history to go with it, I may elect to go Chinese all the way around.

Don't ride on old tires, my brother recently had a blow out on his plastic coach out in Oregon, so far he is out 2500 Lew bucks -(wiring harness, spring shackles, mount, storage box wall and compartment door etc) plus the tire and downtime when he experienced a blowout on the inner dual.

His comments were the tread was like new! But what about the date, Turns out 7 years old.
    He was just getting over one stroke, damn near had another.
    Roger that!
    2008 Liberty DS XL2
    2023 Denali Ultimate
    My 6th Prevost

Tuga, Michelin is the only tire I will ever use on my 50,000 lb Prevost. Its a no brainer. I have priced tires of different brands and the $$$ does not come close when considering my safety , my familly's safety and everyone driving around me.
    Last edited by garyde; 08-10-2007 at 02:07 AM.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Dale
    I have 315's all around and my rims are all 8.25. I have been told that it is OK, but I do have concerns about the "Kiss" effect. That is one reason I have been thinking of going to 12R's on the drive axle. This winter I am going to be replacing those 4 tires.
    GregM

dalej Guest

Greg, have you ever checked to see if there is a space between your drive tires at the belly? I would think that they would have to be touching. After measuring mine, I don't see how 315's could ever work.

What ever gave you gentlemen the idea the French could do anything superior to a U.S. or japanese Company. Ever take a look at a Renault. We had to pull Michelins off our work trucks because the sidewalls were weak and caused them to wander all over the road. My Royale has a new set of Sumitomo's and they work just fine. If the truth was known Goodyear probably makes the best tires.

Ye Ole Philosipher

Dale you are right, they are really close.
    GregM

Just a side note regarding Chinese tires. Wall Street Journal had an article this morning; "225,000 chinese tires recalled" . Now , I know many companies have recalls, but chinese products have had a series of dangerous recall issues this year and there are plenty of other choices like Harry has stated including American tires. Michelins have been around for over 50 years and I have used them on different vehicles since the late 60's with no issues.

dalej Guest

Just another side note....My drive Michelins are stamped with, made in Spain! so with outsourcing you never know.

With all due respect Gary, perhaps you will recall a small problem a company had when their tires were cited as the cause of Ford Explorer roll overs? Does Firestone come to mind? That is more American than Double Coin which was not cited in the recall.

We live in a global marketplace now and there is no limit to the different things made elsewhere including China which plays a major role in everything from the manufacture of Boeing jet major assemblies to the toothpaste you use to the fish you eat.

I agree with you Jon. My point was that for individuals contemplating tires for a Prevost, the priority should be on Tires which have a history of reliable performance. Remember, we have a lot of newbies reading these POG s these days and many have no previous experience with Prevost nor Commercial vehicles.