Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best deal on tires

Hybrid View

Tuga, the King has Michelins on his steer. Both of us are chickens. We are giving this Chinese tire thing a chance, but since the steer and tag are the hardest on tires we are sticking with what is known there. When my steer axle tire is going to be replaced I will have about 4 years on the Shanghai skins so at that point I will have a bit more knowledge. Roger may be at the point where he has to make a decision sooner.

Poor Roger has had to work in the recent past. It's killing him.

dalej Guest

Jon, I measured the tread width on my 315's and my R12's and they are the same width or the 315's could be 1/8-1/4 inch wider. Both are right at 9 inch in there width. I was a little supprised by this, but the 315's are much wider when you get to the belly of the tire, so I would not put 315's on a 8.25 wheel. It will be very close to touching without the bouncing that bus's do. He said when they kiss the heat will start to build.

Guess what.....our inner steel wheel is 8.25 and the aluminum is 9.00.

I rely on Michelin technical data and the Prevost shop manual for my information. I think the guy has not availed himself of either.

dalej Guest

Well my curiosity got to me so I went out and did the measurements on the tires. The steer tires with the 315's on them has a belly measurement of 2 inches, at 110 pounds of pressure. The 12R’s has a belly measurement of 1 inch, with 100 pounds of pressure. The distance between my drive tires is 1
    and 1/4 inches. So I’m pretty sure that if you put 315's on a 8.25" wheel that they will be building heat from touching. Again I would NOT put 315's on a 8.25 wheel. If any one has 315's on 8.25 wheels I would be suprised.

My measurements are from the outside of the rim to the farthest most outside point on the tire, or the belly measurment. I have two 8.25 alcoa alluminum wheels.
    Last edited by dalej; 08-09-2007 at 09:50 PM.

Dale
    I have 315's all around and my rims are all 8.25. I have been told that it is OK, but I do have concerns about the "Kiss" effect. That is one reason I have been thinking of going to 12R's on the drive axle. This winter I am going to be replacing those 4 tires.
    GregM

dalej Guest

Greg, have you ever checked to see if there is a space between your drive tires at the belly? I would think that they would have to be touching. After measuring mine, I don't see how 315's could ever work.

What ever gave you gentlemen the idea the French could do anything superior to a U.S. or japanese Company. Ever take a look at a Renault. We had to pull Michelins off our work trucks because the sidewalls were weak and caused them to wander all over the road. My Royale has a new set of Sumitomo's and they work just fine. If the truth was known Goodyear probably makes the best tires.

Ye Ole Philosipher

Tuga: A1 Jon is correcto, I am having to work too much, but I still read the forum when I get time. New guys are hired and in place, just need to get them up and running.

I am running Michelins on the steer and old Michelins on the tag and Double Coin Chinese on the Drive. So far so good. If today I had to buy more tires to replace the steer, I will probably go with the French brand and transfer the old steer to the tag. However down the pike as Jon and I accumulate a few more miles and history to go with it, I may elect to go Chinese all the way around.

Don't ride on old tires, my brother recently had a blow out on his plastic coach out in Oregon, so far he is out 2500 Lew bucks -(wiring harness, spring shackles, mount, storage box wall and compartment door etc) plus the tire and downtime when he experienced a blowout on the inner dual.

His comments were the tread was like new! But what about the date, Turns out 7 years old.
    He was just getting over one stroke, damn near had another.
    Roger that!
    2008 Liberty DS XL2
    2023 Denali Ultimate
    My 6th Prevost

Tuga, Michelin is the only tire I will ever use on my 50,000 lb Prevost. Its a no brainer. I have priced tires of different brands and the $$$ does not come close when considering my safety , my familly's safety and everyone driving around me.
    Last edited by garyde; 08-10-2007 at 02:07 AM.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Quote Originally Posted by garyde View Post
    Tuga, Michelin is the only tire I will ever use on my 50,000 lb Prevost. Its a no brainer. I have priced tires of different brands and the $$$ does not come close when considering my safety , my familly's safety and everyone driving around me.
    Good point Gary. I have decided that I am going to buy the Michelins for the steer axle. They will cost about $600+ more than the Chinese tires; it is just not worth the worry. Maybe after a few years when the Chinese tires are proven, I may consider them for the drive and tag axles, but for now Michelins are going on the front.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot