Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best deal on tires

Default Best deal on tires

I am in need of some front tires - 315/80 R 22.5

I would prefer Michelins, but I am open to any discussion about other brands.

Who has the best prices on Michelin tires?

So far I have gotten prices of around $650 each with no trade in for the old tires.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

This thread is going to go to hell real fast anyway, so I'll send up the first target.

I ended up with the Chinese tires because they were half the price. There were a number of tires quoted that were close to the Michelin price, but they weren't Michelin. Hell, for $25 more or $50 more I could buy the Michelins, but when the guy quoted around $325 for the Double Coin tires it literally meant if they all blew out after 2.5 years I would break even it made the risk worth trying. Roger has more miles on his rickshaw tires than mine, and Sunday I saw they still had air in them so things are looking good.

I have new Michelins on the steers and will until I develop the confidence in the Chinese tires on my drives. At replacement time if I have had success with the Chinese tires that is what goes on the steer, unless they learned to play the game the others have and that is to be close to but cheaper than Michelin.

BTW, the ride is excellent on them.

I received a quote from a tire dealer in Lafayette, LA, for a load range L, 315/80 R 22.5 - $340 plus tax and balance for a total per tire of $420

Roger, do you have the Chinese tires on the steer axle?
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

The other question is do we need 315's on the drives what about 12R's? Could save the cost of one whole tire. Old steers could get rotated back to the tag and new 315's on the steer.
    GregM

dalej Guest

Greg if you have the 8.25 width wheels, don't use 315's they kiss when the bus in bouncing up and down. I have been told this will happen by Prevost. I have 12r's on the drive but use 315 on steer and then on the tag.

I think they gave you bad information Dale. That is listed by Michelin as an acceptable size wheel for 315 tires.

Greg, there is a bit of irrationality at work on tires sizes. Specifically, (motorhome chassis only) on the 40 foot coaches the steer axle has a greater tendency to be overloaded because all equipment and weight has to be between the axles. This becomes especially true if the converter places a lot of weight up front, such as batteries or generators.

When I had a 40 foot coach it had 12R tires.

Now I have a 45 and it has 315 tires, but because of the large rear overhang and the placement of all batteries behind the tag axle, and the holding tanks and generator immediately in front of the drive axle, I have a 5000 pound heavier coach, but none of the extra weight is on the steer. Despite that I have the 315 tires rated at least 1600 pounds more.

The only justification is that in the event of an emergency I can swap any tire to any position. But that theory goes down the toilet when I see the new coaches with two different size tires. Go figure.

I think Dale is doing it right because he has the big tires where he needs them,

Tuga, the King has Michelins on his steer. Both of us are chickens. We are giving this Chinese tire thing a chance, but since the steer and tag are the hardest on tires we are sticking with what is known there. When my steer axle tire is going to be replaced I will have about 4 years on the Shanghai skins so at that point I will have a bit more knowledge. Roger may be at the point where he has to make a decision sooner.

Poor Roger has had to work in the recent past. It's killing him.

dalej Guest

Jon, I measured the tread width on my 315's and my R12's and they are the same width or the 315's could be 1/8-1/4 inch wider. Both are right at 9 inch in there width. I was a little supprised by this, but the 315's are much wider when you get to the belly of the tire, so I would not put 315's on a 8.25 wheel. It will be very close to touching without the bouncing that bus's do. He said when they kiss the heat will start to build.

Guess what.....our inner steel wheel is 8.25 and the aluminum is 9.00.

I rely on Michelin technical data and the Prevost shop manual for my information. I think the guy has not availed himself of either.

dalej Guest

Well my curiosity got to me so I went out and did the measurements on the tires. The steer tires with the 315's on them has a belly measurement of 2 inches, at 110 pounds of pressure. The 12R’s has a belly measurement of 1 inch, with 100 pounds of pressure. The distance between my drive tires is 1
    and 1/4 inches. So I’m pretty sure that if you put 315's on a 8.25" wheel that they will be building heat from touching. Again I would NOT put 315's on a 8.25 wheel. If any one has 315's on 8.25 wheels I would be suprised.

My measurements are from the outside of the rim to the farthest most outside point on the tire, or the belly measurment. I have two 8.25 alcoa alluminum wheels.
    Last edited by dalej; 08-09-2007 at 09:50 PM.