Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coach floorplan and mechanical questions

GDeen Guest

Default Coach floorplan and mechanical questions

Hi, new to the forum - introduced myself in the newbie section...

In looking for a coach, I have kindof come down to a Prevost conversion or a Newell. My wife really liked the 1.5 bath layout in a Monaco we leased last year - let the kids and guests conduct potty warfare in their own toilet room while preserving the rear master for her majesty's secret service.

Question - are there many bath and a half Prevost conversions out there? Newell makes one which is one of the attractions to their product, but I have yet to see a Prevost like that.

Also, I have read through some of the turning radius discussions here - Am I being overly concerned about turning radius with the 45' bus? Attraction number two on the later model Newells is the steerable tag which gives a reported 37' radius. How important or unimportant do you find that generally?

Thanks for your help. BTW, I realize this is a Prevost forum and my questions about Newell are purely just for my own education. If that is not appropriate here just let me know and I shall cease. My gut tells me more durable and bullet proof is the Prevost, but the Newell has a couple of attractive features.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by GDeen; 08-06-2007 at 01:38 PM. Reason: To say Hi.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

There are some bath and 1/2 prevo out there but VERY FEW.

I can appreciate the importance of the right floorplan and I'm sure if anyone can help with this search your in the right place. I think I remember Marathon having a bath and 1/2 but is was a new one, check their web site.

We have a second head, up front right behind the driver, it originally was a VIP Charter, can't wait to loose it for an upgraded cockpit eventually. Although it would be very convienient for entertaining it's usually just Deb and I, we only have a 40 and it effectivly robs us uf 6ft of bus when camping not to mention isolating me from everything when underway.

IMHO a steerable tag is just another in a long list of clever but unessessary features, not to mention the additional cost and potential problems down the road.

If turning radius is important to you get a 45 with independent front suspention, It boasts a tighter turning radius and you can simply dump the air in the tag suspension to help further, and they all can do that.

Welcome to the group.

What should we call you?
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 08-06-2007 at 02:16 PM.

Joe is one of the good guys. You can believe what he says. Watch out for the guys from OSU (not Ohio, but the Indian territory)

Jon, that was way harsh. Don't you have some Corvette issues to deal with or a tractor to grease?

And the only two bath and a half coaches I have seen are the Newell and Joe's, so that consistant with everyone else.

GDeen Guest

Definitely have concerns over the steerable tag reliability deal. That also goes into the category of concerns over slides also. They sure seem nice for the added space as long as you accept the risk of failure or much more maintenance down the road. Guess it just boils down to what one "needs' the most in a coach. Same goes for the 1 1/2 baths - just boils down to what one puts on the final list of "have to haves."

GDeen,

My Newell has the rear bath + half bath option, and we love it. It also has 2 slides, and we love that option as well. If you are interested in a bus with slides, I would recommend one with electric rather than hydraulic slides. The reason is that if a hydraulic hose bursts - you have a big mess inside the coach. My coach has hydraulic slides and the only problem I have had is 2 solenoids needed changing after 8 years of use. I like my slides; they added room and livability. The down side to slides is when they do malfunction it can be costly. I know that changing a front slide gasket (at Newell) can cost $3500+ and a rear gasket can cost $1500

Jon and others have posted that gaskets should be changed about every 5 years; so you can do the math. Slides can be expensive. I have been lucky, mine are working great and my front slide gasket is 9 years old. With my luck, it will crap out next time I use the coach!

The steering tag axle is nothing new, Vogue was using steering tag axles many years ago. I do not know anything about the reliability of steering tags on Newells presently; nor am I familiar with the reliability on the Vogues. I hope that I have helped you with my limited knowledge.

If you have any more questions, ask away
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

GDeen Guest

Thanks Tuga. Good info. Are you generally happy with your Newell? Is the drivetrain, chassis, and structure as stout as a Prevost?

I see you are from Houma. My Dad's people were from Lake Charles and my Mother is a Yankee from Ruston. I was born in New Orleans, but we moved to Oklahoma when I was very young. Spent some time in Morgan City, Houma, and Lafayette when working offshore though.

Thanks for your help.

Gordon,

This is my 3rd Newell, so yes I am happy with this coach. I am really not qualified to answer your question about if a Newell is as "stout" as a Prevost. Let's let your research answer that question.

There is one thing about my Newell that I am not happy with; the AC. I have 2 basement ACs which have double compressors (14,000 BTU each) plus a great dash AC unit. In very hot temps (100+) the inside of the coach is cool not cold. I think that the OTR (over the road AC) in a Prevost is superior to Newells basement ACs. However, with the dash AC and the basement ACs running I have never been uncomfortable. Some people (like Jon) like the inside of the bus to be very cold; Newell won't give you that kind of cold without OTR AC, in my opinion.

Let me say that I have had in the past and to this minute have MPD. Mad Prevost Disease! I think that an XL II with stainless steel gleaming is the prettiest motorcoach on the road; I love them! They are stately looking and there is nothing out there to compare in the sheer beauty department.
    I really get excited everytime I see one; just ask my wife! There is just something about a Prevost that says - No. 1.

I am looking forward to meeting you, perhaps at the POG V rally. We will not be able to attend POG IV in Branson because of a wedding that my wife's daughter is serving in during October.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

GDeen Guest

Thanks Tuga - A/C is a big deal to me. I like it cold!! That is a serious issue indeed.

Is this an XLII of the type you like? This is a nice looking 03 Country Coach over on Staley Coach's website. Love the paint and stainless. Very nice looking unit inside and out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Does C.C. use the Prevo OTR A/C? I'm not sure but I don't think so.

That gourgous bus you pictured does not have the louvered 3rd bay door where the condensor for the system usually resides.

Keep lookin