Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: KVH R6 Fails

Seems to me we discussed this issue at K'ville. I also recall that there were very few husbands in attendance (the exceptions were noted). To begin with, the use of walky-talkies for back-up assistance is a sure recipe for confusion, DON'T use them.

The only possible way to assist someone, ANYONE, in backing their coach or any other vehicle is to have a plan beforehand using standard hand signals and to PRACTICE the exercise. The driver and helper must always be able TO SEE EACH OTHER in the mirrors. Patience is the key here and practice with cones or other non-perishable training aid is essential. The signaller must learn exactly where the rear wheels must track in order to be of any use to the driver.

When the day is over, we learn to correctly position our rear wheels through the process of trial and error. Once we learn to adjust our mirrors for backing and steer our rears where we want them we usually don't need any assistance.

Why is it that most of us will patiently help our employees get through job training challenges with patience and respect and that when we deal with our "best friend" it turns out to be a disaster? Beats me, but Beverly and I NEVER direct each other when we're backing except on rare occasions to help position our electrical and/or dumps exactly where they need to be.

By the way anyone (Ray) know why I can add smilies on the compose post page but that they don't appear in the post?
    Last edited by BrianE; 07-26-2007 at 12:09 PM.

Brian is correct. On a serious note we, as drivers, should have no problem backing into a site, nor should we have any problems in recognizing places we will just not fit in. There is one "gotcha" where either help, or a stop and look is required. That is something down low, on the passenger's side typically, but it could be on the driver's side such as a picnic table or a post.

The front end of the coaches swing, especially when the wheels are turned all the way, and when we are backing especially we could have been a mile away from that picnic table with the rear wheels, but the front end could swing right into it.

As drivers we have to not only avoid what we see in the mirrors, but we also have to remember things that fall out of our sight in the mirrors and verify either with a helper or ourselves we will not hit them.

I will ask Di to verify that I will miss a picnic table, or post or large rock. If I am alone I will get out of my seat and go have a look as often as necessary. I do not want the kind of awards that go with wrinkled sheet metal.

By the way anyone (Ray) know why I can add smilies on the compose post page but that they don't appear in the post?
    Strange, looking at the data that is actually in your post, the smiler image name is missing. There's a link, but it's only to the forum directory, and doesn't include the image filename.

I'll try it here, myself.

That worked. Brian, how are you adding the smileys? What do you "see" in the editor? I actually see the shortcut name like eek within colon chars.

Ask Merle and Louise to reply on this one. Merle (Tuga) can come next door and have a beer while Louise puts it where it should spend the stay.[/QUOTE]

I taught Louise to drive and back up the coach so that I could do the more important things like washing the dishes
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Ray,

The problem is solved. I recall that someone recently suggested using the WYSIWYG enhanced editor on the user control panel. The problem is evidently with that editor. I just changed back to the standard editor and the smilies came back. I guess the point is if it ain't broke......

The problem is solved
    Good to see you're smiling again!!

Default Backing

I think most confusion in two person backing comes from hand signals relating to "left" "right" etc.

I just tell Kelly Jo, I will worry about left, right etc.. you just tell me if I am fixin to hit something I can't see.

All works good.

I would like to find a set of full duplex headphones for the task, so we could both talk at the same time.

Although I am not sure if you could hear too well standing close to an idling series 60?

Never been on the other end of it...

win42 Guest

Jeep: The real trick is let the person back there where they can see the stone wall do all of the talking and the driver do the listening. We had a few conflicts in the begining until we discussed things like full hand signals and maintaining full view of each other. I learned in my experiance giving signals to cranes and helicopters handling heavy loads on to high buildings that there is a system of hand signals that do work in all cases. Even relayed signals using persons operating on the same page.
    Don't scream, it only causes the neighbors dog to bark.

Default KVH TracVision L2 satellite

I have a KVH TracVision L2 (not in motion) satellite dish, and it will not lock onto THE satellite. It locks on to several satellites, but the ones it locks onto do not give me a TV picture. I have tried unplugging it, removing the access card, etc. and nothing works. I have tried changing transponders; tried transponder #2, #3, #4, etc. - no go!

I would call DirecTV but my blood pressure goes up about 60 points when I get on the phone with those people.

Any ideas!
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot