Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Montana ? ? ?

Default Montana ? ? ?

We are thinking of planning a trip to Montana for early this fall.

Other than just nosing around, we are researching places to reside in the summer that are cooler then these parts, for whenst we retire.

Having never been to Montana, was wondering iffn ya'll had any ideas on places to go/see there, and tips for the areas.

Thanks in advance.

Jeep,

Glacier National Park is the most beautiful place on earth(that I have seen so far). "Going to the Sun road" has breathtaking views and it brings you from the West side of the mountain to the East side. The KOA West is a really nice park (not your typical KOA) and is conveniently located 2 miles from Going to the Sun road. Be sure to see the lodges on the East side of the park. I don't remember the names of the lodges, but you will see the advertisements when you cross over the ridge on Going to the Sun road.
    The St. Mary Visitors' center should be able to direct you to the lodges.

Flathead Lake is an area in Montana that is also beautiful. I have not actually visited it, we just drove around it on the way to Glacier NP. But it looks like it has possibilities.

Montana is fantastic!
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Jim_Scoggins Guest

Little Big Horn Battlefield in Hardin, Mt was a real treat. Also, we really enjoyed Red Lodge for a laid back place to rest up. Close by are the 20 something switch backs going up to 11000 ft Beartooth pass.

Default Montana also

We to are headed to Montana, Wyoming, Idaho and possibly some other places leaving the Ms. Gulf Coast in about ten days for a 3 to 4 week trip.
    Thanks for all tips on good places to stay! Dan & Jo
    Danss 1999 Vogue, 03 Chev. Trailblazer

Exclamation

Warren, Private message or email Jim S. He joined POG in May and resides in Ocala,FL and Bozeman Montana. He was thinking of selling property in Montana in May.

He could probably tell you a lot about that State.

On our way to Canada visited some of the spots others have mentioned. We stayed in a nice little park close to Anconda, Mt and spent some time in Phillipsburg, There are anumber of ghost towns close to Phillipsburg just waiting for you to explore with your jeep. On our way home to start exploring all the San Juan Mountain jeep roads just a few miles from our house. Enjoy MT. We did.

Default Montana

Hey Yellow-Jeep! I'll try to give you some feedback from up there in a couple of weeks. We are heading up to West Yellowstone, MT on the 30th of Aug and after touring the park will be headed north. I can let you know a little about the western part of the state around Butte and Missoula. Let me know if there is anything in particular that perks your interest.

Default Wow

Thanks for all the good comments and information. Its going to be fun to narrow it all down and come up with an itinerary.

To those that are headed that 'a way, I guess we are interested in a medium size location (Butte, Bozeman, Missoula)? that would be cool and shady in the summer, to balance out our spot in Lake Havasu City that is nice in the winter, but TOO FRIGGIN HOT in the summer.

I know it has world class fly fishin, so that is a good start, and as mentioned, four wheeling in ghost towns sounds powerful good too! Gee, mix in fireworks, shootin, and a good martini (with bleu cheese stuffed olives of course) and it could well be home !! (The above activities not necessarily done at the same time)

Default Sweet Garlic Stuffed Olives

Quote Originally Posted by jello_jeep View Post
    Gee, mix in fireworks, shootin, and a good martini (with bleu cheese stuffed olives of course) and it could well be home !! (
    Jello-Jeep, I thought of this local company when I read your post about Martini's and Olives.

Check these out. http://www.4garlic.com/olives.html

We just love these Garlic Stuffed & Blue Cheese stuffed Olives.

Try them out sometime.

Gary S

Default Olives

Well, I have had the stuffed olives in a jar, but it does something unfavorable to the cheese (imho). The best is to get a quality bleu (maytag or whatever) and stuff prepare the olives just before service. You get the nice "snap" of the cheese that a way.

We also did smoked olives & garlic once. It was work, but very good. Basically took a price club size jar of olives, and drained & de-pimento'd them. Got a price club size bag of garlic, and roasted it all up, then put it in a piping bag (like icing). Then piped all the olives full of roasted garlic.

Put all on a foil lined sheet pan, drizzled them with wine & olive oil, some oregano and a little pepper, then cold smoked them for about 20 minutes.

Results are spectacular, but caution must be used to keep youself in a well ventilated area if consuming these with dark beer

Some of those companies make really great olives though, in and of themselves. Always fun to try something new.
    Last edited by jello_jeep; 07-16-2007 at 11:17 AM.