Thread: Wrenching Away - 97 Marathon

Default Wrenching Away - 97 Marathon

Thought I would post my progress and parts cost in case someone else has to deal with some of the same issues. Some of this is preventive stuff.....

Idler Pulley bearings changed and good to go - 120.00
    Both air billows for the fan gear box changed out - 72.00
    Fan belt tension pulley - 86.00
    ISRI air seat control - 146.00 (I have 2 good lumbar buttons if anyone needs)

Aux Air - When I find the right mini compressor, I'm going to plumb in a line to the aux tank fill fitting in the lower drive compartment and set the compressor to cycle at 90/120. The compressor will be switched so when the Bus sets for a period of time, I can activate the system to keep the aux pressure up. Over a two day period, the air leaks off and I can't find the leak anywhere that is accessible. I assume there is a leak somewhere that can't be seen. One reason for this is the belt billows.. If you haven't watched, start the engine when your belts are loose due to no air and watch the belts flop around until your compressor gets to 50 lbs. Not a good idea in my opinion. The other benefit of the mini compressor is for leveling with the engine off. I know some of the conversions have compressors, don't know why Marathon doesn't.

Lots of work left to do, but it is truly a labor of love. I'm so impressed as to how these things are built when compared to the plastic coaches. When you get inside some of these compartments, the quality of construction and attention to detail is amazing. No wonder they were about a Mil when new.

By the way, anyone who hasn't opened every access panel and looked inside every compartment with systems, you really should. Over time the hose clamps get a little loose and need TLC. Better now then on the road!!!

Am I the only one working on anything or what? No good wrench stories lately other than Jon making his own glass...

Tom,

It may not seem important now, but agressively chasing every leak, no matter how small will pay dividends because if you haven't got them now, you will get the leans, and when you do you will be overwhelmed with all the various small leaks that collectively contribute to driving you insane.

Not kidding here: Get a cheap stethoscope and use a plastic funnel, big side toward the engine or valves and listen. Everywhere. When you get it so your aux. air pump will not cycle more than once a day you are in good shape. Don't forget soapy water. That works good in some areas.

I might be able to use the lumbar push buttons. I removed mine because they were leaking and I didn't use the lumbar support.

I am actually starting to work on the inside, so the wrenching is all pretty light. We have to install 51 drawer pulls that we just purchased. Cleaned two Loews stores out, but we are about to change the carpet and wall paper then recover the front seats, couch and living area seats.

I wanted to have this done before the POG rally so we didn't look so much like white trash with all the Liberty coach owners around.

lewpopp Guest

Jerry, did you go to Loews( movie theatre ), Lowes ( hardware), or Lew's ( everything) ?

Lew the Spelling Nazi. Actually, I went to neither. My wife did it.