Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Selling Bus

Dale,

Careful what you wish for! I thought it would take about 6 months to sell Big Red, then Whamo, gone in 45 days. The price was right, cash deal and I thought, yippee, on to the next one. Now I wish it would have taken 6 months, Mrs Truk and I sure miss that bus. I couldn't be part of the 2 bus owner group and I thought I was way ahead of the curve selling now and then looking for the next one, but I haven't seen anything that compares to what I had even jumping up a couple years.

So, since we had all these paid for plans for the summer, I bought a plastic (gasp) gasser to get us through the summer. Here I am in a campground somewhere in VA just beginning the 4 week excellent adventure with a case of MPD you can't even imagine. Just think, here we are, no inverters, no insta-hot, no trash compactor, do dishwasher, no air level, no sat, no gen auto-start and a funny sounding thing up front that sounds like a motor!
    And now gas is more expensive than diesel...

So, think long and hard before you part with the bus, but if you do, I know you'll make the right decision for you and your family. How would you like to be in my place when I end up in Oshkosh next week and have to take all the abuse from Mango and Jdub, then on to Sturgis where Bill and Jody will not cut me any slack.. Sure glad Tuga will be there for moral support.

I would post a picture of my 2006 gasser, but I just can't take the abuse yet, I need more time.

Jeep - Bite me!

Tom, You have my sympathy for your situation, and I am sure you will continue to catch a lot of flack for selling your bus and buying the gasser. Hopefully, it will all work out for you in the end. Just think of all the experience you have now that you didn't have before.

As for me, I am listing mine on Rvtrader for $168K, with a bottom price of a little less. I think that is a very fair price, considering all the things that have been done to it in the last few months. If it doesn't sell, that is fine. I really like the bus, and would not hesitate to drive it anywhere tomorrow. The only presssure I have to sell comes from my need to justify its ownership.
    Last edited by dale farley; 07-17-2007 at 02:13 PM.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Default Truk

Hold on... Tom,,,, YOU bought a WHAT?

Kelly Jo is even laughing, and she is a nice person!!!

I only wish I was there in person to RUB IT IN, as you so richly deserve !!!

win42 Guest

Truk: When I grow up I want to be just like you. Who's your daddy? A plastic gasser headed for Oshkosh and Sturgis. Well now ain't that classy.
    Have fun!! being with your family is what it's all about. Even if your family includes JDUB & Mango. Is john gonna give your gasser a safety check in Oshkosh?

Dale, D O N' t S E L L untill you visit Karen and I in North Carolina !

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

[QUOTE=truk4u;15746
    So, think long and hard before you part with the bus, but if you do, I know you'll make the right decision for you and your family. How would you like to be in my place when I end up in Oshkosh next week and have to take all the abuse from Mango and Jdub, then on to Sturgis where Bill and Jody will not cut me any slack.. Sure glad Tuga will be there for moral support. ]

Tom, Tuga will give you great moral support and the two of you should be able to fend off Mango and JDUB I just don't see how Nancy can live without that trash compactor!!

Jim K., I definitely intend to visit with you and Karen in N.C. whether we keep or sell the bus. It's not that far from our cabin to your place.
    Once again, I am not expecting a quick sale.

Paulette and I will be very disappointed if you don't stop by here the next time you have the opportunity. I promise to "not" close the electric gate on you the next time. Dale
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Default Selling too low ...

Dale,

Obviously, I haven't been inside your bus, but $162 is too low. Taking a look at sites like philcooper.com, I see a 93 Marathon for $215. I would expect around $175k would be more reasonable.

Personally, I would list at $185, and come down to $175k.

Don't sell that short. That just hurts resale on all of us with vintage units!

Ray

If there was any way of getting truthful numbers it would be a great exercise to record the selling price of all coaches that trade hands in a 3 or 6 month period, but that will never happen so I think the only way to sell a coach is to go through the same exercise as when buying one.

Research the market, see what is out there and try to find out what sellers will really accept for a coach.

Some of the older coaches have been on the market for a very long time. They are typically overpriced. When a coach is seen on the market for a long time after a while prospective customers begin to stay away because the perspective is the coach has a problem.

Its better to price a coach to sell. Ownership alone has costs associated with it and trying to get every last nickle out of a deal often is the way and owner nets the least.

I believe I'm somewhat like Dale, that I'd rather ask for a vehicle what I want to sell it for. But, it seems like the masses expect to deal. Dale mentioned $162, and would let it go for $158. I think in most cases people want to deal, and feel they got a deal by grinding the buyer.

Granted, I will agree that the 93 Marathon for $215k is probably way over-priced, but I still "feel" that around that $175 mark for a 93 Marathon is not too much. You are correct, I don't have any figures to back that up. I purchased my bus just over 1 year ago, and that is the vintage of coach I was shopping (that's my price range), and I saw lot's of coaches which were much older (86 to 88) still trying to get $150k. 92-93 coaches a year ago were all available for around $175, and I'm hoping they haven't dropped seriously since then.

Personal opinion, I think $162k is a bit too low. And as well all know, opinions are like noses, we all got one!!

Ray