Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Selling Bus

Default Selling Bus

Since the purpose for which I bought my bus has gone away, I am thinking about putting it up for sale. I know I will take a beating because I have done so many things that didn't necessarilly have to be done. It has had several thousands of $ of changes in the last 10 months. Things like 3 Cruise Airs, 6 tires, 8 shocks, 1 air bag, new material on all awnings, New 2500 Watt Heart Inverter, Engine AC Compressor, Fantastic Vent Fan, Bay door actuators, new gel generator batteries etc., needed to be done. Things such as cordless blinds, new bed sets, new washer/dryer, Custom sunscreens installed at Kerrville, etc. didn't really have to be done but made Paulette happy. I can account for $12000- $14000 for parts, plus all the labor I have invested, and I realize that I won't get anything in return for most of that investment.

When I bought the bus, it was advertized on RVtrader.com. I am wondering where the best place to list it would be? If I don't sell it pretty soon or if I see I will take too much of a beating, I just won't sell it. Just thought I would try it while so many things are new at this time and everything is working except the fuel gauge. As I talk about all the things I've done to it, I really do have reservations about selling it.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

What was your original purpose for getting it that has gone away and are you going to replace it?

Joe,

I originally bought the bus because my son (who is a minister) had moved out of state. We were planning to use the bus to stay in close proximity to our son and grandkids as much as possible. Additionally, we were planning on doing a significant amount of traveling. We have been all over the U.S. several times, but most of the time, we didn't have long to stay at any given spot. I wanted to actually spend some time in various locations, and the bus seemed like a good way to accomplish this. I was considering downsizing and going almost full time, but hadn't quite convinced my wife of that move yet.

By the time I got the bus like I wanted it, our son has moved back into our town and is now pastoring the church that we attend. My wife and I each have several functions in the church; and we feel a strong obligation to support the church and our son in his efforts, so it is going to be difficult for us to do any extended travel. I don't need the bus at all to go see him any more, since he only lives eight miles from me.

I have been thinking about it for a couple months now, and I do have significant reservations about selling it , because I really like it. I just don't know that I can use it enough to justify having it sitting in the shed most of the time. I do know I will feel a sense of "loss" if someone buys it. We have had numerous motorhomes during the last 30 years, but none as nice as the Prevost. Dale
    Dale & Paulette

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Well.............................................. you could always make it dual purpose and use it as a church bus as well

Dale,

You sound like me!

I am the president of the "IT'S FOR SALE, IT'S NOT FOR SALE" club. I change my mind more times than a kid in a candy store. I have advertised my coach for sale, then when people call, I tell them that I have changed my mind, it's not for sale.

When I sold my 93 I called the buyer 2 months after the sale and asked him if he wanted to sell it. I still talk with the buyer of my 87 about twice a year, and he DOESN'T OWN IT ANYMORE! These coaches become a part of your life.

I must admit that you have a much better reason for selling than I do, but it is still a hard thing to do. People that don't own an RV just can't identify with what we go thru.

If you want my opinion, RVOnline.com is a great web site. The prices are reasonalbe, they update instantly, and they have a great layout. A buyer can look at a glance and tell what year, how much, and where the bus is located.

Just my .02
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Dale,

Unless you need the moola, there is certain satisfaction in just knowing it's out back. I head down to the bus barn at least 3x a week after work to "tinker" and find it extremely relaxing after a day of restaurant crazies.

I think you have to view it as a relaxation expense. A lot of guys join a country club (or if you're jdub a 50 cal shooting club) and they'll spend x number of dollars a year "relaxing" at the club. If you're going to loose x dollars in the sale, couldn't you use the same funds to maintain it for x years?

I work a lot, and expect for the POG trips, I don't get many lengthy bus travels. However, our family has found that if we can just jump in the bus and get away for a couple of days we're good to go. Our batteries are recharged and everyone is ready to get back to reality. Perhaps you and your sweetie can handle these short excursions without having to leave town for any length of time.

I would take a hard look at selling, before you jump.

Just some rambling thoughts.

Mango

Joe, Believe me when I say I have really tried to come up with some way I could use it in some form of ministry. That way, I could justify its existence in my own mind. I have considered everything from using it in ministry work, to trying to come up with a plan to use it in business so it would be partially tax deductible. Either way, I wouldn't feel it was just being wasted. Maybe I could convince the IRS that I am an undercover chaplin, trying to make sure all the POGers are going in the right direction.

Of course, as Tuga has stated, it is still up in the air. While I am seriously considering the bus, I am also planning to be at Branson, so I guess time will tell.
    Dale & Paulette

dalej Guest

Mike, did I just read... you work a lot? Jerry has always just said that you own a lot!

Mango,

I fully understand and support your statements. I do find significant satisfaction in just knowing I own the bus, and I try to not let it drive me nuts knowing how much I have tied up in something that I am not justifiably using. I also realize that I am not in the same financial category as many of the other Prevost owners in the POG. That's why I have a 93; it was all I could afford.

Actually, I haven't even mentioned to Paulette that I am considering selling the bus. She leaves most of those kinds of things up to me, but she does like the bus also. I really wish I could come up with a way to use it and justify keeping it.
    Dale & Paulette

I agree with Mango - if you don't need the Lewbucks---Don't sell especially if you enjoy the tinkering, fixing, updating, etc that is therapy for guys at this time of life (ole farts). That's almost priceless.

There is no other justification in my mind for owning a bus. You can't justify it as an investment, because it depreciates, you can't justify because you travel extensively, very few of us do. You can justify it because you wanted it and enjoy the ownership of it.

If you sell it what are you gonna do with your free time? not travel or work on the bus for sure if you sell it.

My kids all live within rock throwing distance so I use mind to get away sometimes. That might happen at your house some day? (just kiddn)

The Israelites wandered for forty years, you should at least go for 30 -40 days a year.

The wife, kids, and friends from your church would probably recommend that you keep it and enjoy it while you can, Be sure that things will change, you are at or reaching the time of your life that you should be content.

just my 2 cents
    Roger that!
    2008 Liberty DS XL2
    2023 Denali Ultimate
    My 6th Prevost