Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Generator Malfunction

Default Generator Malfunction

I keep my bus plugged in all the time when not in use, and I usually try to start it about every month to exercise everything. I back it out of the shed and run the generator and all three cruise airs for about 30 minutes.

When I did this today, everything worked fine, but when I turned off the generator, I noticed that my fuel pump and hour meter were still energized. I tried to find a breaker to disconnect the power but was unsucessful. After about 15 minutes, the fuel pump and hour meter stopped.

I have a 20KW Power Tech generator that looks and runs like new. Does anyone have any idea why the fuel pump and hour meter stayed on for several minutes after I shut the unit down?
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Just a guess, but I'd say a relay in the control panel was hung up. I'd cycle the generator a few more times to see if it repeated or cleared itself. Then plan on finding and changing that relay some day. A bad diode across the coil contacts of the relay may also be the culpert, but that would be the last item I'd check.

Mike, I suspected a relay, but wasn't able to locate one when checking this morning. My manual doesn't seem to be much help in locating the problem, so I may end up calling Marathon or Prevost. Thanks.
    Dale & Paulette

Dale, I have a panel behind my genny accessed by a hatch in the first bay. I THINK thats were the control panel, auto start ect is located. Sometimes these controls are physically located on the gen set. I'll look around on mine to see what I can see.

Did it behave the second time you tried it?

Mike

Mike,

I've tried it several times and have not been able to duplicate the problem. Maybe it was a one-time thing. I would like to know how to disconnect the power to it, if it happens again.
    Dale & Paulette

Hi Dale. You may have a seperate battery for your Generator start, which also powers the Generator contols. There may be a disconnect or fuse between the battery and the Terminal at the Starter or Controls.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Gary,

I do have two separate batteries for my generator, and I didn't even think about that when looking for a way to disconnect. I went straight to my engine compartment and flipped both switches, and of course, that didn't make a difference. Just shows I'm getting old.

I don't actually know of a disconnect betweeen the batteries and the generator, but I am sure there has to be a relay somewhere that is sending power to the fuel pump and hour meter. Thanks.
    Dale & Paulette

Dale,

On my 97, the generator cut-off switch was located on the curb side in the battery box bay. Mine had two 12V batteries connected in parallel charged by the generator or the solar panel.

IMG_1018_1.JPG
    You can see the switch here on the left

P5300070.JPG
    Also, there are relays inside the gen control box

Good luck.....

Hey Trukman,

Who did you steal those photos from?

Mango

Tom, Mine also has the two generator batteries in parallel charged by the solar panel, but I don't see a disconnect. There is a 12V house disconnect and a 24V disconnect in the compartment with my house/generator batteries, but they don't affect the power to the generator.
    Dale & Paulette