Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Locking Differential

Default Locking Differential

Well I really did something stupid today. I parked my coach on the grass to work on cleaning out the sewer valve assembly. It has been raining for the last month almost everyday, and guess what? The coach sank down in the soft ground about 4 inches.

I tried using the locking differential, but all that did was to dig 2 holes under the drive axle. As I tried rocking the coach back and forth by putting it in F and then in R, I dug a very nice rut in the soft ground. Coming to the realization that I was getting nowhere fast, I stopped and thought about the situation. I needed traction, and that is difficult to accomplish on slippery mud. So I waited 3 days and luckily no rain fell and the ground dried out.

I engaged the locking differential button, backed up a little, then drove forward and walked it right on out of the dried up bog!

Question: How does the locking differential work?
    Last edited by merle&louise; 07-08-2007 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Spell check
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Well if you wanted to make us Prevost owners feel bad because we do not have one, you succeeded.

It is just like the name implies. Instead of the rear wheels turning independent of one another so you can make turns which causes the inner wheel to turn less then the outer wheel (not the inner wheel in a dual, but the inner wheel with respect to the turn radius) a differential is locked so the wheels on both sides of the coach turn the same direction and the same amount.

My guess is your differential is set up with a safety switch that automatically disengages it above a certain speed, and there are probably limitations on its use.

dalej Guest

Tuga,

Please post some photos of this ordeal! I'm sure Karen was out there snapping away while you were in dispare. You know how guys are visual.

Jon,

When I was a kid I had a go cart with a B&S engine that had a chain that drove the left rear wheel. Later, I bought another go cart and it had what was called a "live" axle. Does the locking differential do the same thing as a "live" axle? Both wheels pulled equally?

When the locking differential is in the off position: making a left turn the right wheels will pull and the left wheels are just along for the ride? Why is that necessary?
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Dale,

The ordeal is over, thank God. In south Louisiana it rains everyday in the summer, so I was really lucky to have 3 days with no rain for the ground to dry up.

Sorry we didn't take any pictures. Boy I was lucky to get that coach out Karen didn't tease me, she knew how upset I was. That will come a little later. Now I know how Kevin felt @ POG II.

Has anyone else gotten stuck in mud or am I the only dumba$$ to drive on soft, wet ground in a 50,000 pound vehicle?
    Last edited by merle&louise; 07-08-2007 at 05:46 PM.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

dalej Guest

Tuga, this site might help...http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential.htm

As I use my bus more and feel lucky to belong to POG, I am put at ease that we all will make some mistake. I guess that's the school of hard knocks!
    Kevin

Thanks Dale that is a great site.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

To all, who WILL encounter these situations eventually.

Wood ash from a fire pit or fire place makes UNBELIEVABLE traction in slippery conditions. Just sprincle it heavily on the tires and forward from them and use as little throttle pressure as possible and most times you will walk out of most of these situations. It also helps to realize the situation as early on as possible for digging in doesn't help the odds.

Rule of thumb...... any time you experiance any wheel spin at all, stop immidiatly and assess and sprincle the wood ash if available.

I have been able to start from a dead stop on solid ice on a grade loaded using wood ash. I have been told it works in the mud as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Cannarozzi View Post
    To all, who WILL encounter these situations eventually.

Wood ash from a fire pit or fire place makes UNBELIEVABLE traction in slippery conditions. Just sprincle it heavily on the tires and forward from them and use as little throttle pressure as possible and most times you will walk out of most of these situations. It also helps to realize the situation as early on as possible for digging in doesn't help the odds.

Rule of thumb...... any time you experiance any wheel spin at all, stop immidiatly and assess and sprincle the wood ash if available.

I have been able to start from a dead stop on solid ice on a grade loaded using wood ash. I have been told it works in the mud as well.
    Joe, does it help if there is Some Red Hot Coals still burning in the ash when sprinkled below the tires? Just funnin with you, but sounds like very good information for the future. I guess I will have to dump my propane grill and put the Old Smokey back in the coach?

Gary S.