Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the best toad?

ajhaig Guest

Default Toad for sale - Boston

We are going to tow our 2006 3/4 ton Suburban. I bought this jeep new in November, it's a 2006, 6 cyl, 6 speed, w/ AC. It has 4,000 + miles. I'd like to get close to $18,000. for it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

lewpopp Guest

I have a wish for and have hot pants for a new Buick Enclave which I understand is towable.

I presently have a 2006 Saturn Vue with about 7800 driven miles. I love it but the Enclave has got me breathing hard. Not one thing wrong with the Vue and if my wife see this post she will castrate me. I would like $21,000. I paid about $26,000. Front wheel drive and a V6. Lots of pep and a dream to drive and hook up.

Lew

lewpopp Guest

That Saturn Vue is all wired to tow with the tow plate and all ready to go.

The wiring and tow plate alone is over a1000 bucks.

Lew

Mango,

It's too bad. I did go to a Honda dealer yesterday, and indeed the Element is no longer on the tow list. In fact the salesman indicated ONLY the CR-V qualifies for 4-wheel towing. That's really a shame. I have 3 Honda's and wouldn't have minded purchasing another.

The new Element really looks nice. But, ....

Ray

Ray,

I am going to go out on a limb here, but here goes. I think that the transmissions in the 2006 and 2007 are the same ones that are in previous models (2005 and earlier). I have heard that Honda had some "issues" regarding towing BECAUSE the people using them didn't follow the directions carefully. Lew pointed this out to me on this forum a few months back. The last gear that is selected should be D before the car is put in neutral. If you select R and then neutral you can damage the transmission by towing it. IMO Honda is just doing this to cover their butts.

Maybe some Honda techs could tell you "off the record" if the transmissions are the same on the 2006 & 2007 units as the prior ones. If the transmissions are the same, I'll bet you can tow them with no damage.

I realize that it is a big chance to take, but I'll bet there is no difference in the transmissions!
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

matsprt Guest

Default Tranny's

Ray,

What Tuga tells you is correct. The transmissions are the same. This is also true of the Acura line. America Honda got hit by a number of owner fault warranty claims with regard to towing and decided to end support. I know several people that tow new MDX's and various new Honda models with no problems. They also realize that they do so at risk should there be an actual problem there will be no factory support during warranty.

Realize once you are outside the warranty is all falls on you anyway.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by merle&louise View Post
    Ray,

I am going to go out on a limb here, but here goes. I think that the transmissions in the 2006 and 2007 are the same ones that are in previous models (2005 and earlier). I have heard that Honda had some "issues" regarding towing BECAUSE the people using them didn't follow the directions carefully. Lew pointed this out to me on this forum a few months back. The last gear that is selected should be D before the car is put in neutral. If you select R and then neutral you can damage the transmission by towing it. IMO Honda is just doing this to cover their butts.

Maybe some Honda techs could tell you "off the record" if the transmissions are the same on the 2006 & 2007 units as the prior ones. If the transmissions are the same, I'll bet you can tow them with no damage.

I realize that it is a big chance to take, but I'll bet there is no difference in the transmissions!

lewpopp Guest

To back up what I reported prior to this, I now have the Saturn Vue which has a Honda engine and transmission. Now what do you think?

Lew

I guess in all fairness, it appears my Hybrid was never on "the list", as reported from FMCA. But, I tow it, and it indicated in the owners manually, that they *thought* it would be OK, but no significant testing had been done.

I would understand if they cancelled all cars, but the CR-V remains on the list.

Ray

Good point Ray.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Ray,
    You could duplicate the Hybrid you now have in a used model. You already have all the tow equipment that fits the new acquisition. You wouldn't need the fast lane sticker and you would have the set-up you like and are used to!