Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the best toad?

Ray,

When I started to find something to tow last year, I went to the Honda dealer to look for an SUV. I was surprised to learn that all Hondas made before 2006 are towable. As it ended up, I just bought a tow bar for my 2002 Accord, and it works great. If I had to purvchase another tow vehicle, it would probably be an SUV just because of their flexibility.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Talking

Ray, I thought your Toad was the hot set-up. Why not keep it ( being all set -up and ready to go), and get something else to give to your son?

If your a truck kinda guy. I like the Chevy Avalanche. Ready to tow, rugged, converts to haul like a truck and drives like a car.

Jim,

The current toad works great, but my son's car is a 90 Accord. Although it runs fine, it has no air bags, AND he drives 50 miles each way to college, and also works late shifts (until midnight) at a coffee store. I work out of my home, and put on less than 5k per year on my personal vehicle.

In CA, those of us with hybrids, AND who got the early stickers, we can drive in the carpool lane, with only a single person.

So, I'm tranferring the Hybrid over to my son's use, so he can use the carpool lane, AND get airbags (front and side) in the Hybrid.

My wife's car is a 2003 Pilot, and I've considered making that our toad, although it is quite a bit heavier than some small SUV's. I'm leaning toward a small SUV, as it is very flexible in it's use, and it's nice to be able to seat at least 5 when you get to a remote park (especially during a POG rally!)

Thanks for the comments everyone, I appreciate them!

Ray

Tuge,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give that a try next time. I usually try to check when making the corner out of a gas station etc, that the wheels are turning. I have to make enough of a turn to see the toad with the mirrors.

In the case I mentioned, previously, everything was rolling fine. The issue was that when the brake system put on the brakes the first time, there was still vacuum in the system. The EvenBrake system is designed to work on a dead pedal, and being there was still vacuum it stepped on the brake WAY TOO hard, locking up the wheels.

The manual says to kill the engine, and depress the brake several times to clear the vacuum. Also the test procedue that the unit runs through does the same thing. I just ran it with the engine running, and that was the wrong thing to do. Luckily Honda Civic tires are MUCH cheaper than Prevost tires. $105 and I had two new tires in Kerrville!

Ray

My coach idling in drive probably has enough torque to drag the HUmmer with the brakes on. I am not positive, but when the brake incident occurred I was pulling out of my driveway, and because of how it lays with relation to the road I tend to not use the accelerator pedal until I am completely out of the driveway and straightened out on the road.

I now check in my mirrors and make a turn as soon as possible so I can get a visual on the wheels of the Hummer to make sure the wheels are turning.

Ray....I like the suggestion to use the Pilot. Your coach will not be able to tell the difference between the Civic and the Pilot.

Ray,

Dale is right both the Element and the CRV, which were ok to tow in 2006 and previous but since 2007 now on the no-tow list, which is too bad as the Toaster is a great toad. Good mileage, doubles as a trailer and will haul five (although in full disclosure there are only 4 seatbelts).

toaster_7860.jpg
    plus it's a real chick magnet.

mm

Default H-3 Hummer

We tow an H-3 Hummer, kind of goes with my 40' coach. It scales at 5000 lb and is very easy to disengage the drive line, just hold two buttons for 10 seconds.

I installed Blue Ox tow plates, took about 3 hours and fit the Hummer perfect. The cost of the Hummer was $30,000.00 with 2,000 miles. (repo). We have drove it 30,000 miles and pulled it 25,000 more.

Ray,

We have a Jeep Wrangler and a 4WD Chevy Tahoe. For the last two years, we have towed the Tahoe exclusively. The Jeep is now a trailer queen. The Tahoe is a great tow vehilce. You simply put the transfer case in neutral by pushing two buttons for 10 seconds, take the key out and go (there is no steering wheel lock to remember about). For braking, we put an M&G brake system on which is activated by air from the bus and is permanently attached to the master cylinder of the Tahoe. That hookup is a simple air line from the bus to the front of the Tahoe that takes less than 20 seconds. When you unhook, you put the transfer case back in gear and go. The Tahoe has seating for six, seven if you get the middle bench seat instead of buckets. The rear seat folds down in a minute to make room to haul junk. The Tahoe actually tows much better than the Wrangler did even though it is heavier. I think it is the wheel base that provides more stability. The only issue with a Tahoe is that if you have a 45 foot bus you will be approximately 68 feet long when towing and that may be an issue in California. If we ever get a 45 foot bus, I will think about the Honda Element, Saturn Vue, or Chevy HHR.

Loc

Apart from the fact that Di wanted a big vehicle to protect her when driving on the highways, we settled on the H2 Hummer because it puts us at 65 feet. We were also OK with the Grand Cherokee, but my Dodge Ram 1500 puts me at 68 feet.

good point about the size constraints. I hadn't really thought about that much. currently I drive a 40ft, so it's not an issue, but someday I may upgrdade!