Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: What's the best toad?

Only problem with the Element is the newer ones are not towable according to Honda. Evidently they came off the list with the 2007 model, and the only Honda vehicle still listed as towable is the CR-V.

After you had showed pictures of your Element before, I went out, intending to puchase a new one, until I learned that they were not towable!

Ray

I'm of the contrarian point of view on this tow issue. Typically, I am on vacation heading to one destination point so I don't need a tow vehicle because I either rent once I arrive or I have a vehicle available to me. Now, if you are going to travel and stop over a two week period or longer in multiple locations, then it makes sense to have a tow. Keep in mind you have to travel slower, can not back up, have to deal with watching after the tow while pulling it, and all the expense to purchase, maintain the vehicle, tow bar, brake system, brake & running lights.
    Also, depending on weight, the tow will effect your mileage.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Gary is correct. I would never tow except we just like having our own car with us (if you can call an H2 a car). There is also a lot of comfort knowing that if we have a problem on the road we can get in the toad and get parts or help.

But apart from the limited benefits of towing, I really prefer to not tow.

Just Plain Jeff Guest

Never one to be a smart aleck...ah, you have to be careful if you have a MM toad with Stainless (The Real Deal), since many may not be aware that in the bright sunshine you can melt the plastic parts. How come that wasn't mentioned?

We'd had a 2000 Saturn Vue but after many years of hauling it around the countryside, it, er, a had a busted transaxle. You couldn't even feel it behind the camper. So we upgraded to the Explorer; no problems there at all...Ford makes a solenoid (dealer installed) to disengage the excambulator and then an LED lights up. If you can read the instructions they posted on the visor with bifocals and don't screw it up, it works just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by MangoMike View Post
    Gary,

First off congratulations!

Attachment 2312

The Honda Element. The world's most perfect tow car (if you love ugly).

Light in towing - 3500#

Great gas mileage.

Holds 4 legally, 5 in a pinch.

Seats all fold up and away turning the toaster in a trailer, which you can really pack.

Quick to clean, inside and out.

High interior headroom, will fit any large headed Texan without a problem.

Relatively inexpensive.

--

I also puchased a new Honda CR-V for my daughter, with auto transmission, which we tow, if you're looking for a little more style.

Good luck.

MIke
    Mike how did you deal with the fact that Honda does not recommend towing the Element. I own one of these for my business and your right, its is a versatile transport device. Did you add a Lube system??

MM's Toaster is a 5 speed, so I don't think the no tow restiction applies.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Winchester View Post
    MM's Toaster is a 5 speed, so I don't think the no tow restiction applies.
    I guess that would do it, mine is an Automatic. thanks...

Honda changed it's policies in 2007, and removed several vehicles from the towable list, even the manual transmissions. Why? Probably CYA. Currently according to Honda, and the FMCA towables list, only the CR-V is still listed as towable by Honda.

It turns out my Civic Hybrid was never listed, but I've had zero problems towing it. I do the gear thing, and so far, everthing is OK. (except for brake system locking up once and putting flat spots on the tires!)

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Davis View Post
    Honda changed it's policies in 2007, and removed several vehicles from the towable list, even the manual transmissions. Why? Probably CYA. Currently according to Honda, and the FMCA towables list, only the CR-V is still listed as towable by Honda.

It turns out my Civic Hybrid was never listed, but I've had zero problems towing it. I do the gear thing, and so far, everthing is OK. (except for brake system locking up once and putting flat spots on the tires!)

Ray
    I guess I am way too conservative about my toad experiences, especially after I nearly destroyed Pam's Lexus RX 300. Blew the transmission with a oil lube system in place after a 1600 mile tow without a start, Lexus had no rules about this back then, and I didn't use my head. I even have a 2007 Honda Odyssey that I am afraid to tow, which is why I purchased the 2008 Saturn Vue XR, so that I would not have to fool with the starting, gear issues every 300 miles. Anyone want to buy at (Wholesale) a 2007 Odyssey 12,800 miles, Touring edition, nav, every option available. White, tan leather, like new. I mean at Black Book wholesale.

Toad Search Ended: We settled on a GMC Envoy Denali. It gives us the most room, 4W drive, V8, and 4 down towable. Hooked up to the 45Ft. Liberty with a Blueox tow bar and the Blue Ox Envoy kit it measures a hair under the required 65 foot max combined length. I hated to give up my Tahoe, but this unit is a 10" shorter version and works well for all our second car needs.
    Harry

Shirley & Harry / 2000 Liberty / 2008 GMC Envoy Denali