Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: What's the best toad?

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

For us the potential fuel mileage is insignificant compared to what we need to be accommodating for our traveling style and what we like.

I would love to pull a Mini or a Beetle but we really utilize the extra storage provided by the 1/2 ton P/U with a cap. Although on shorter trips it is not necessary usually it is.

I can see us with a smaller toad in the future but it will be in addition to the P/U not a replacement for it.

Judi Brown Guest

Default Toad

Hi
    We picked up a Liberty Limited for a toad and love it. It is a little more like a car than the normal liberty and explained in manuel how to tow 4 down.
    Judi B.

We also tow a Jeep Liberty Limited. Seems to be a good combination when considering comfort, cargo space, weight, size and ease of towing 4 wheels down.

And by adding a roof rack and a fabric cargo carrier, you can still haul more stuff than ya really need....

After six years, we're still very happy with it.

Subaru...then again I'm VERY biased. But it has to be a manual transmission. No towing limitations, no problems !
    Wendy and Rick DeSilva
    '08 Marathon H-3
    2017 F350 platinum
    Mahwah, NJ
    Brant Beach, NJ
    Pelican Lake, Fla

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    Curious as to how that adds up to $5000, unless you give your checkbook and keys to someone and tell them to make it work.

If it is a 4X4 is it towable with the transfer case in neutral? If not I am not sure a driveshaft disconnect will do the job since both axles have the potential to drive the transmission. Is the plan if it cannot have the transfer case put in neutral to put it in 2 WD and disconnect the rear drive shaft?

As to the weight, if I had my druthers our tow vehicle would be as small and light as possible. We towed a 3600 lb Jeep for 200,000 miles and it was the right size to keep our length legal, it was big enough to take four adults, and light enough so hills were not an issue. The Hummer meets the above criteria except the weight is 6700 lbs. You know you are towing it going up a hill.

A tow vehicle is a mess after a trip, and the bigger it is the bigger pain in the butt it is to get it cleaned up. As states get hungry for revenues over length vehicles become targets, especially if you have a heavy foot. A heavy vehicle will impact your fuel mileage.

If you have to add a brake pacjage because of the weight, and a driveshaft disconnect to make it towable it is already getting to be a pain. What I liked most about the Jeep was it was light enough that brakes really weren't necessary (probably a good idea, but not necessary) and to tow it we just put the transfer case in neutral. The more you have to monkey with while hooking up the greater the probability you will have flat tires on the bottom, or some other such calamity.
    Ok Jon, here is how it adds up TO $5000, more or less:

Remco Drive Shaft Disconnect $1200-$1400
    Light Wiring Harness $200
    10,000lb Black Hawk Tow Bar $ 1500
    M & G Air Assist Brakes $ 1000

Paint Matching Stripes on Excursion so it CAN be towed to All POG Rallys like it belongs behind the Bus...... PRICELESS !!!

And yes the plan was to disconnect the drive shaft to the rear wheels, which would allow towing, however, the thought of not only washing the bus at every rally, and campground, and the Solid Black Limited Excursion ( w/matching Bus stripes) is now, not sounding so appealing.

Maybe we can just catch a ride with one of you guys going into town for our needs, and not have a toad?

Jon, here were my original thoughts as I explained to J.C. I own the Excursion already, have a place to park it at home, already pay the insurance, should I just have it outfitted to tow??? Or Buy something lighter, smaller, then pay additional insurance, find someplace to store it, and pay to make it tow ready??? Man what have I gotten myself into? I LOVE IT... !

And by the way, Jon. I heard about your CALAMITY... But they were only flat on the bottom!?

Gary S.

The PP painted their toads to match the bus. Did you post this in the right place?

Gary,

I have owned three diesel 4x4 Excursions and four 4x4 diesel F-350 PU's and I would not have towed any of them even if they would have shifted to neutral.

It's not just a little weight but a bunch of weight and a bunch of added length to deal with. If you are dying to find out how it would be, come borrow my aluminum car trailer and wag that Excursion around on it for a while. My bet is you opt for something short and light weight. I'm trying to get Rae to embrace the diesel Bug as a toad but I think we may go the Toaster route; toad and trailer combo. If I think I need a 4x4, I can load my Scout onto the trailer.

We are pulling the H3 right now and I am thinking about going to something lighter yet.

And since black is not so much a color as it is a statement of your willingness to work, there is nothing as nasty as a toad after 1000 miles and the only thing nastier would be a black toad. Keeping 45' of stainless clean is chore enough. Tossing in a black vehicle would keep you out of the bars for sure.

Jon, did you just hear what Turd Boy said about your black Hummer!

Quote Originally Posted by truk4u View Post
    Jon, did you just hear what Turd Boy said about your black Hummer!
    Hey Tom, you leave JDUB alone. He is trying to help me from making a bed decision, and I appreciate it.

The fact he mentioned something about a black tow vehicle was in no way directed at Jon, or anyone else towing a dark vehicle, it was just to point out the added work involved with keeping everything clean. ( Which we know Jon does very well anyway. )

Thanks guys for all the information, LOOKS like I will have to catch a ride into town for awhile to get groceries and stuff?

Gary S.

Gary,

First off congratulations!

toaster7860.jpg

The Honda Element. The world's most perfect tow car (if you love ugly).

Light in towing - 3500#

Great gas mileage.

Holds 4 legally, 5 in a pinch.

Seats all fold up and away turning the toaster in a trailer, which you can really pack.

Quick to clean, inside and out.

High interior headroom, will fit any large headed Texan without a problem.

Relatively inexpensive.

--

I also puchased a new Honda CR-V for my daughter, with auto transmission, which we tow, if you're looking for a little more style.

Good luck.

MIke
    Last edited by MangoMike; 02-18-2008 at 10:40 AM.