Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Know this unit?

henryhighwood Guest

Default Know this unit?

Is anyone familiar with this unit? It seems to be priced low, but I am getting the feeling that there are some problems with it, and I am not getting a lot of information by email exchange.
    My feeling is like buying an airplane. I would rather buy something that has known problems if the price is right, and then spend some money to get it fixed right.

http://www.prevost-stuff.com/1995_pr..._45-harmon.htm

Can anyone help?

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

265 gal of fresh water, wow, has anyone else ever seen a fresh tank that big? I like that, bad TDF though.

Ted 4 things immediatly came to mind. Great price, the beautiful paint looks like the same guy who painted truks bus that he just sold, the way the contact is listed it seems like its not from a private owner and you may have found something here
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 06-23-2007 at 04:30 PM.

henryhighwood Guest

[QUOTE=Joe Cannarozzi;15198 I like that, bad TDF though.

QUOTE]

Joe, I am sorry, but I did not get the TDF?

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

The combined total capacity of both the gray and holding tanks is not big enough to hold all the fresh water should you try to go through it all before getting to someplace to dump. The TDF is additional volume that you loose in the holding tank by virtue of what you deposit in the toilet, TURD DISPLACEMENT FACTOR

All kidding aside, I actually really like the extra fresh water capicity and it is never a problem to find an acceptible place to drop gray water, to recapture holding capacity, if need be.

I called the number in the add and she called me back in about 5 min. Did you try to phone her?
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 06-23-2007 at 05:48 PM.

Ted,

I have several general observations that might address the price spread. Generally speaking a coach whose converter is in business, and who provides strong support for the coach will be valued higher by the market. Royale made an honest coach, and it was a good one but never considered by the market as a high end coach so it started life priced lower than some coaches.

Now that Royale has ceased converting coaches the market has reflected that in the values. This one does seem lower priced than I would expect, but that may be attributable to the number of miles, which in reality do not mean anything. It also may be attributed to the 5 speed transmission. That coach was an intermediate coach that sits between those made with the 8V92 engine with the Allison 700 series transmissions, and the later models with the Series 60 engine and the 'world transmission'. The 5 speed transmission was excellent by the way.

Another factor may be that the owner is up against the wall financially and needs money now.

Unknown, and certainly to be considered is the actual coach condition. It needs to be seen. Has it been trashed? Has it been maintained and are there records to prove it has? Has it ever had a serious accident? Does it drive well? Etc.

In this case I would use the buyer beware caution as my guide. It may be inexpensive but what is the rest of the story? This coach needs a good inspection because the price does strike me as low. If it checks out it is a good deal for someone that likes the coach and its systems.

Wink

Ted, The stated "NEW CONFECTION MICROWAVE", sure sounds sweet

When you go see this baby measure the water tank ( check it out) it might be 165 G..

henryhighwood Guest

Thanks for the advice, I may give this one a closer look.

As for that oven, I was really hoping for something that I could use to fix a meal and not just desserts.

Ted,

There is a Prevost Pricing Guide on the home page of POG website. Applying the values I come up with the following:

1995 Prevost Royale 45 $185 - $225 = $205,000
    200,000 miles/12 years = minus 5%
    Royale is out of business = minus 10%
    OTR air = plus 2%
    5 speed transmission = minus 5%

TOTAL FAIR MARKET VALUE = $168,100

Sounds like the seller is asking a reasonable price if the price includes a PDI.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

henryhighwood Guest

Thanks,
    The owner sent an estimate from Prevost from a recent inspection for about $11000 worth of work for what looks like an air leak (?) but the invoice was a little hard to read. There ws a note that the estimate did not include addressing some additional deficiencies. I am trying to learn just what they are.

Thanks everyone for the comments and guidance.

Ted,

I cannot think of a single air leak that even approaches that cost to repair.

Having said that older coaches such as my 97 will be experiencing the leans which is air leaking somewhere within the complex leveling system so the coach tilts or droops. But.....given two days and all brand new valves, almost all of which will not be required, and the problem is solved. My guess is the valves will cost less than $2000.

The other potential leaks are the airbags. A generous amount of time is 12 hours, and $1500 worth of air bags and now you have a brand spanking new suspension and leveling system.

The only thing left are brake chambers. Less than $700 for parts and about 8 hours and the brake chambers are all brand new.

Maybe my gearhead brain is minimizing this, but except for bargaining purposes, those numbers are bogus and inflated and what I described above are real numbers. If you do the work yourself it sounds intimidating, but with normal tools and some time your total cost is parts, the prices which I gave are on the high side.