Thread: A bus tale

Jim_Scoggins Guest

Default A bus tale

This is a write up on one of my trips in my Bluebird that occured about 4 years ago. Was trying to gain a little sympathy from my Bluebird friends. Didn't work!

I wrote a note about what happened on the way home from Disney World in early January. I reproduce it here (Part I) to give the background and set the scene. Part II will then give the status as of now.

I have had many inquires as to how the Bluebird is doing. Update? How is it doing? Will it be OK. Not a word about how I was doing, or holding up, or was I ok with it. BMW motorcycle club was considering taking up a collection to insure the bird would be at the next motor cycle rally—they have grown attached to the grill, icemaker, bathroom, shower, etc—indeed some sleep under it in bad weather—particularly the first night when the engine is still radiating heat. My friends!

I digress.

Part I
    Coming from Disney World to Stafford, VA—spent the night (8 Jan) at the Flying J at Latta, SC—I-95 exit 181.
    Started out this am – SAT--and got to mile marker 188—horrendous crashing and banging from back of bus—didn’t know if it was engine failure, transmission seizure or problem with the differential. Jarring was severe enough that we left a trail of the ALCOA lug nut caps strewn down the highway—yep, all of them. $. After the dust settled—tried to drive it slowly –for about 10 feet. Felt as if it engaged a few teeth at regular intervals. There was a transmission lite—suspect from shock and vibration—went away after restarts. After talking with Dick Warren and the tow guys, consensus seems to be a ring/pinion gear in differential. $$$. They used an under reach to grab the bird by the front axle, and removed both rear axles so there would be no transmission damage. I kept the engine running so it would stay aired up on the bags as it was towed about 10 miles to a truck repair facility in Dillon, SC—it even has a junkyard dog. $$$. They will look at it Monday am as they are sensible southern folks and do not work on Saturdays, or Sundays. $$$. Just hope there is no collateral damage. $$$. The tow guys—Opie and Festus—were knowledgeable and proficient—got the bird off the interstate with a minimum of fuss and bother.

Loaded our junk in the jeep and proceeded north. Had severe noise from destroyed exhaust from running over Snyder eggs and oil fumes from leaking valve cover gasket—another story. $$$. Anyway, loud, noisy and smelly from exhaust—jeep loaded down with our earthly goodies—the Okies are coming! Worried we would not make it home—but when we got to the NC/VA border had full confidence of making it home as the bicycles were on the back of the jeep.

Monday or Tuesday will tell the tale as to the actual damage. $$$$$$$$$$$.

Dragon Lady seems to be in good humor but the dog, Pootie, is pissed. We left all her toys in the coach.

Dragon Lady will be going back down on Monday to insure there is power on the coach for battery charging refig, etc. My boss will be super unimpressed when I need to go to SC to see about the coach, winterize it, or in general, worry about it. Will have to work nites to pay for all this.

This was the vacation from hell—30 hours from Richmond to Orlando by USAIR, and five days without luggage—now the coach poops itself on the way home.

For Bluebirds: Comments, opinions, as to diagnosis, prognosis, costs, etc.

Commiseration is welcomed. Laughter and giggles now acceptable. If in doubt what to do or say—send Scotch.

Part II
    We made a trip to Dillon SC during the week after the failure. Loaded the car up with stuff from the coach. It looked like Okies again. The day would not go smooth—flat tire on the car on the way home.

Anyway, it was a failure of the differential$$$ When the differential went it deformed the yoke also—the end of the drive shaft had to be cut off, a new yoke welded on, and the whole affair balanced$$$ While it was there I went ahead and had them put new air bags on the drive axle$$$. When they were fooling with everything, one of the fittings to the leveling jacks gave way—hydraulic line was deteriorated from aging. Had them replace the lines$$.

Anyway, coach was there for about a month—finally got the call the coach was ready. Left home at 0430, was there at 0930, and on the way at 1000. Stopped at the NC welcome center northbound so I could look everything over on dry concrete, vice the dirt and oil at Opie’s garage. Parking brake would not work and two outer axle seals were leaking. Went back.
    They gave us lunch money and told us to come back in a few hours. Went to Harbor Frieght Tools to kill some time.

Went back to the garage. Opie wasn’t there. Festus said Opie got burned and went home. He then showed me where the hair had been singed off his arms. They had brought a big towable BBQ pit in and cooked up lunch for all the worker-bees. Evidently, they opened the lid too quickly and there was a flash fire/explosion from the built up grease. It was quite a sight I am told—people running from the fire to get away and people running toward it to help--the smell of singed eyebrows was still in the air. As we were sitting there we saw some mice running around on the dashboard of an older Prevost. Festus remarked how cute they were.

Anyway, got back and on the road at 1500. The town had a parade for us—thanking us for all the money we put in the local economy. The financial planners and local stock brokers were sorry to see the coach go.

Had just almost made it to the NV/VA border when the front leveling valve gave up the ghost. Stopped at a rest area and crawled underneath to wire it up so I could get home. Rainy, cold. Dragon Lady is on her knees holding the flashlight—yes, it was also dark A semi pulls in next to us. He dumps his porta potty right there on the ramp. The stuff is running downhill toward me. I bang my head scurrying out from under the coach. Truck driver jumped in his cab, frantically locked the doors—drove away in great hurry. He knew bad ju-ju when he saw it. Dirty, greasy, old guy, in overalls—purple face, blood running from forehead. No, I probably couldn’t have kicked his ass but he didn’t know that.

Last Tuesday took coach in to my trusty local garage to get the leveling valve replaced and get on dry concrete to check everything out. I had also found the left rear drive axle inner seal was leaking (Are you counting. That is three of fours seals) and where the hydraulic lines from the jacks go into the manifold was leaking—really hard to reach but I think we might have fixed that!

Oh. While the coach was sitting there in SC it got infested with mice. Mickey, Minnie,and the whole famdamnily. I guess there is a chance we picked up the mice at Disney World! We have been taking everything out and cleaning. I am really getting into this luxury coach RVing stuff.

Coach goes in on Tuesday to have seal replaced. I may have the other side inner seal also replaced since it is clear that Opie and Festus do not understand seals—or BBQ pits.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Thats a good tale Jim. I was hearing banjo music in the background as I was reading it I still like the Bluebirds quite a bit. We looked at a few before we stumbled onto what we have now. I think the dashboards are outstanding.

Do they have twin screws, I never got down and looked underneeth? I know there is 8 tires out back.

A comment on your fuel line thread. We have the same original fuel lines on or 86XL although there is no rubbing they worry me. Mabye we will change them out in Branson. Jon can demonstrate how to prime an 8V and I can show how to R-R the ends on hoses with aeroquip fittings.

Orren Zook Guest

Joe,

Make sure you get the no-skive hose for your demo!