Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New York / CDL

ken&ellen Guest

Default Save $$

I am with Jon. We set our cruise control on 62 MPH max. I had read an article on diesel pushers and according to the studies the maximum milage was achieved between 55 -64 mph. Many states set a limit on items that are being towed at 65 MPH, although I have never seen that in print. Ken

Just Plain Jeff Guest

Ah, in a Prevost, it ain't how fast you go, it's how quickly you can stop.

Just so there is no mistake, my speeds are determined by two things. First, by driving at 63 I can let the cruise handle all the driving because I rarely need a lane change or have to brake for slower traffic. This thing is a recreational vehicle and when I am in it I want to relax.

Secondly, the stopping distance at a lower speed is significantly shorter than at a higher speed. It may not seem like much, but the small 10% speed change to bring me up to 70 MPH increases my stopping distance by about 20%. Just to put this in perspective, the average car can stop in about 130 feet from 60 MPH. A Prevost towing a car may take as much as 300 feet from the same speed. That is one of the reasons why I get really concerned when I see a bus or truck trying to intimidate a car by tailgating.

Default Jon - He's old, but he's slow

I guess I am in the middle. I just drive the speed limit or a hair slower so that I don't have to spend all my time passing cars / trucks. This didn't work real well on my recent trip to Tennessee because every time I hit a hill in Arkansas, the trucks would slow down and I would maintain, so we just eased by them.

You can't do that on I-45 heading to Houston from Dallas cuz everyone drives like they are possessed. When you get to Huntsville, it turns into a speeding frenzy with everyone in the left lane trying to drive 80 and some of us trying to drive the speed limit mingled in with the occasional blue hair cruising along at 60 causing the water-flowing-around-a-rock-in-the-river effect.

With the lights all working and driving like a sane person, I don't think I have ever had a cop look twice at us. But we seem to attract a lot of beggers at the truck stops. What's up with that?

Call them beggars if you like, but I don't think all that try to make contact with you regardless of the reason merely want a buck or two. Some are feeling you out and if you let your guard down you may get ripped off and may be subject to physical harm.

There have been a number of instances we have heard from the party involved over the years of Prevost owners being at risk. I related about the fellow that was at the last Liberty Rally that lost his Rolex and about $1800. We spoke to a fellow that parked in a Wal-Mart or K-Mart parking lot in Wyoming and awoke to find himself surrounded by several local pick-up trucks loaded with drunk cowboys about to vanadlize his coach. We related the incident of the guy with the knife talking to my wife. We spoke to the Prevost owner that was lured out of his bus at a rest area under the pretext of helping a fellow RV owner who was just a few spaces over on the other side of some trucks that was broken down. (Not true, he was robbed).

We have had people bang on our window at night. On the other site it was posted about six months ago about how some Prevost coaches have been robbed by gaining access throught one of the awning type windows.

In short, we are getting paranoid and I think with good reason. At one time it was enjoyable talking to people who seemed interested in the coach. Now we tend to avoid that because we don't know their motives.

I still think we are OK in campgrounds.

pognumber26 Guest

Default Security zone

There is another dimension of security available...INTERIOR INVISIBILITY...I installed 5% film on all but my drivers windows...After speaking to several professional Nascar drivers,They all said that this security measure made a big difference in keeping RABID fans guessing wheather or not anybody was inside...A side benefit is the caoach is usually 5-10 degrees COOLER at the hottest events...So far so good...

Our windows are tinted pretty aggressively without the film, but I never checked to see how easy it is to see inside during the day. At night with the lights on, you can see inside easier, but during the day, it looks pretty dim. Reckon that is enough tint?

ken&ellen Guest

We experienced problems in a Wal-Mart late one evening. Ellen & I had stopped to grab a bite to eat at this rual location. The store was closed, but there was another coach parked so we felt somewhat secure. As we finished up the meal several cars showed up an started to drive by very fast blowing their horns and yelling out the windows. It was time to get out of Dodge....which we did! I have never been hassled at a Flying J, but Wal-Marts are out except for daytime stops while the store is open. Ken