Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flying J and Visa

Default Flying J and Visa

For those of you who have not stopped at a Flying J since the first of the month or so, let me advise you that they no longer accept Visa cards for payment on the commercial (truck) island. Buster tells me that Master Card is still ok. So for all of you that only carry Visa, like myself, you better have some folding money handy!!

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by bluevost View Post
    For those of you who have not stopped at a Flying J since the first of the month or so, let me advise you that they no longer accept Visa cards for payment on the commercial (truck) island. Buster tells me that Master Card is still ok. So for all of you that only carry Visa, like myself, you better have some folding money handy!!
    Hey Ken, Why not get a Master card. IMHO one of each is better than carrying a wad of cash!!

dalej Guest

They still take VISA at the rv side, but does it run slow. I spent half an hour at a Flying J putting in 150 gal of liquid gold diesel.

We have always paid cash for fuel. Up until very recently the Flying J was our preferred fuel stop.

Lately the Flying J truck stops along our routes have become a royal pain to fill up at. Unless we happen to hit it right there always seems to be a wait to get an open pump, and than another wait to give away our money. Even with the fast truck island pumps the time lost in fueling has eaten up 45 minutes easily.

I tried the Pilot about 3 miles from our house. That turned out to be a mistake because if you pay cash you get a six cent discount which still makes it more expensive than the closest Flying J, but they will not turn on the pumps unless you walk inside, stand in line and show proof of who you are. Then you get to hike back outside, pump fuel, and repeat the process of standing in line.

I have gotten tired of waiting to get fuel and then waiting in line when there are one or two cashiers ringing up fuel sales, fried chicken, and cashing trucker's checks. So lately I have been using a small truck stop near the house that is a penny less than the Pilot, has open islands almost always and no lines when I want to pay.

Default flying j and visa

I have a Pacific Pride carlock card that I will start using more frequently. These places are small in comparison to any of the big truck fueling companys, they are clean, they are bus friendly, and your purchase goes on your bank card. The only hassle here is the fuel price is not posted, you have to call the office in Washington state on an 800 number to get the price. The office is only open M-F, 8to5 Pacific Time. And the price is always a couple of cents more than the big boys. Pacific Pride also has fueling places in Canada that I will check out this August.

Jim C- I did not need a wad of cash until last Thursday when I pumped $288.00 in bluevost and went in to pay with my visa card. That's when I found out!

Jon-couldn't agree with you more about the standing in line nonsense. What a waste of time.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

On the same subject but a lighter note, when traveling with our grandchildren no matter how much munchies and food junk we would pack when I need fuel it is always everybody out and in and buy somemore. Sooooooo I got in the habbit of fueling predawn, I'm always up early anyway you could set off an atomic bomb at that time of the morning and they wouldn't wake up and THE FUEL ISLANDS ARE EMPTY.

Jon, If your paying with cash a guy who has had a bus for as long as you should be able to just look at your guage, and the price, firure it pretty close and just give it to her the first time in, no?

I used to love to hit the little guy in town for fuel with the Pete. He had highschool kids pumping it and washing windows, one price. He would let me overpay with a company check and give cash back, ya know, for road expences Bless you Mr. Bult. He closed year before last, 87 years old.

Now I use the Truck-o-mat and its dirty and buisy but predawn or right before bed is still the prefered time for empty islands and almost always.

These things that you speak of I have to deal with every other day.

On the other hand there are some places that are great and I think we should share them.

One is Midway off I-10 in the Fla. Panhandle, I think its a Flying-J but not sure, wonderful stop, very camper friendly, but again during the day its packed.
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 06-16-2007 at 06:47 PM.

Joe, I can come right on the money if I don't run the generator because the Pro Driver spells out my fuel burned.

But you are right because when we pull into the truck stop I ask Di to get the money out of the safe and I am always pretty close. The problem with this bus, unlike the other is that I have no clue at which point the fuel will puke out. So sometimes it really is full and other times I could probably get another 20 gallons in.

Since this coach has 298 gallons of capacity, I will do a computer search of places along my route and shop it, knowing what I will be paying in advance. That has been a huge advantage because I already know what is a good price so if I see and empty truck stop with a good price I can take advantage, and with the long range I often only take on fuel at the little place near my house. I generally won't go past 1800 miles without fueling however, and I can't get it in my garage if I have less than 110 gallons on board because of the steepness of the driveway.

lewpopp Guest

Nice post Jon. Not even one misspelled word, not one. Can't believe what I read here.

I used to use Pacific Pride but not only was their prices not posted but they we alway higher than anything in town. I would alway check other local station prices and then watch my PP bill and compared the prices.
    Stopped using it, found the convinces not worth the price.
    GregM

win42 Guest

As per usual we all have problems here and no clear answers. I usually look for Flying J BUT Recently all the Flying J terminals are selling CITGO Fuel. You Know CITGO as in the Dictator Chavez,
    If any one comes up with an alternate short of digging an oil well in our backyards please let me know.
    Where's JDUB on this, he's our oil guy.