Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Generator and Gen. Bay Rebuild

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Jon haven't looked for the exhaust pipe yet. I think I'll try Liberty up here to see if they are using the stuff.

Harry, I was with you until the 32% open area and .087 holes. Can you clarify a little on this? Thank you for the web site.

I am giong to move on the insulating first. I want it done for sure before the gen. gets back.

I do not like the way ours sits in there, should be in there turned 45 degrees but that would be too many changes. If I was replacing with a new unit that is what would be going in.

Recieved a solid referal for the gen. shop. Steve at Central States Charter gave it up. I feel comfortable with it and its 10 min. from our house. It will be in there hands wed. or Thurs.

Lightbulb

Joe, Great big project you have going there.
    Here is a web site for a stainless steel flex tubing. It appears to have the characteristics necessary for your project, but I am not endorsing it. I just found it and have not researched it thoroughly. That will be up to you. I also like the way the tube is made. There are no seams. I however do not know what the minimum bend radius is nor how many times the tube can be cycled through the bending. This is a start for your search. Contact them and see if they can help you get what you need.

Look at the corrugated hose by Penflex. I called them and their product has been used in exhaust applications. Use their engineering staff to help you determine which product is best. Have them recommend a destributor that would sell you a small quantity by the foot. You can see some of the specifics by downloading their PDF catalog. This looks better than the first tube which I erased.

http://www.penflex.com/
    Last edited by JIM CHALOUPKA; 06-19-2007 at 11:46 AM.

Joe, perforated sheet metal such as what Harry suggests is defined by two dimensions relative to its perforations. The first is the size of the hole. In this case it is .087 diameter holes. The second defines how many, or their spacing. In this case there are so many that the open area in the perforated sheet is 32% of the sheet.

I assume they are still in business, and if so try looking up Harrington and King. At one time they were big perforators and their catalog had hundreds of pictures of sheet metal perforation patterns shown and their specs listed (as above).

win42 Guest

Joe: Jon has given you the correct info on hole size and the number of holes is determined by the 36 % of open area you want. Hole pattern is another determination you should also give them. In this case I think you want them staggered. Good luck with your project. I'm out of here for three weeks.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

I'm moving forward with Harrys suggestions.

The drywall is not a problem. I wonder why he suggested to put drywall on the floor and ceiling only? What about the calcium blanket, only on the walls and not the ceiling? I think both on both walls and ceiling? Floor, drywall only? Drywall seems odd for the floor too? I'll have to call Hary I think he's gone.

I called the Harrington joint Jon suggested, they are here in Chi. Stock item Aluminum .050 thick.062 hole size 31% ,36 by 120 187bucks. Not exact but close enough I think. Minimum custom order is 500$

Where might I locate a 1832degree calcium silicate blanket?

Jim The flex pipe can also be had locally in Franklin Park, 100bucks will get me 15 ft. GEIB 1 847 455 4550.

What else/ Additional exhaust wrap, radiator overflow kit, paint, lighting, fuel lines, rad. hoses.

Joe,

You are well on your way. The sheet aluminum can be cut and bent by any local sheet metal shop. All you need to do is make drawings after you decide how you want it to line the box and take that and the sheet aluminum to the shop and they can do it easily.

I would suggest you make drawings and then lay out the pattern for cutting on paper so you can use the sheet of material most efficiently. If you want to do the sheet metal yourself you can cut it easily with a 3" X 1/16 abrasive blade in a die grinder, but it will not look as nice as sheared pieces. You can bend it yourself to make the flanges also, but nothing looks as good as brake formed flanges as Harry has suggested.

FWIW you are in the middle of an area that has a lot of used machinery dealers and a lot of those specialize in sheet metal equipment like shears and brakes. They can hook those up and let you play if you offer to pull a trailer for free for a local delivery.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Jon

I park the Pete at the other end of our neighborhood in a lot that is owned by a pattern maker. When he is done with the pattern he makes the blanks out of whatever alloy is required.

Sand casts and a small home made blast furnace. Quite an ingenious and resorseful fellow. Got a whole shop full of large gear.

The steel mills and refeineries and the railroad all come to him with there aniquated stuff that is busted and can no longer get.

You got it made, Joe. That generator housing is going to look mighty fine.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Dropped off the gen. this afternoon.

I think I have 2 or 3 weeks to get the bay cleaned up and reinsulated before they are done with it.

This is a project that seemed overwhelming as I prepaired but is going reasonably well and easy.

My Bus 218.jpg

Look at how the exhaust wrap stops short. No good. The insulation there was disintigrating into powder as I took it out.
    I've been saying I'll change the bay to white. If you look at the floor after an initial cleaning, and look at the old insulation, it was white to start

My Bus 215.jpg
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 06-19-2007 at 09:06 PM.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

I just went to mcmaster web site and I do not think I will be using the calcium silicate blanket.

A piece that is 1 inch by 36 inch is 40 bucks a foot. If I double it up to get to that 2 inches thick I now have and Harry suggested I'd need at least 20ft. OUCH didn't budget 800+ to insulate the bay.

The way it was in terms of noise was already VERY QUIET. Although I want to utilize all the latest and greatest in technology I need to use something less expensive here.