Thread: Generator and Gen. Bay Rebuild

Hybrid View

Joe,

You are well on your way. The sheet aluminum can be cut and bent by any local sheet metal shop. All you need to do is make drawings after you decide how you want it to line the box and take that and the sheet aluminum to the shop and they can do it easily.

I would suggest you make drawings and then lay out the pattern for cutting on paper so you can use the sheet of material most efficiently. If you want to do the sheet metal yourself you can cut it easily with a 3" X 1/16 abrasive blade in a die grinder, but it will not look as nice as sheared pieces. You can bend it yourself to make the flanges also, but nothing looks as good as brake formed flanges as Harry has suggested.

FWIW you are in the middle of an area that has a lot of used machinery dealers and a lot of those specialize in sheet metal equipment like shears and brakes. They can hook those up and let you play if you offer to pull a trailer for free for a local delivery.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Jon

I park the Pete at the other end of our neighborhood in a lot that is owned by a pattern maker. When he is done with the pattern he makes the blanks out of whatever alloy is required.

Sand casts and a small home made blast furnace. Quite an ingenious and resorseful fellow. Got a whole shop full of large gear.

The steel mills and refeineries and the railroad all come to him with there aniquated stuff that is busted and can no longer get.

You got it made, Joe. That generator housing is going to look mighty fine.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Dropped off the gen. this afternoon.

I think I have 2 or 3 weeks to get the bay cleaned up and reinsulated before they are done with it.

This is a project that seemed overwhelming as I prepaired but is going reasonably well and easy.

My Bus 218.jpg

Look at how the exhaust wrap stops short. No good. The insulation there was disintigrating into powder as I took it out.
    I've been saying I'll change the bay to white. If you look at the floor after an initial cleaning, and look at the old insulation, it was white to start

My Bus 215.jpg
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 06-19-2007 at 09:06 PM.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

I just went to mcmaster web site and I do not think I will be using the calcium silicate blanket.

A piece that is 1 inch by 36 inch is 40 bucks a foot. If I double it up to get to that 2 inches thick I now have and Harry suggested I'd need at least 20ft. OUCH didn't budget 800+ to insulate the bay.

The way it was in terms of noise was already VERY QUIET. Although I want to utilize all the latest and greatest in technology I need to use something less expensive here.