Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Generator and Gen. Bay Rebuild

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Default Generator and Gen. Bay Rebuild

We fired up the gen. the other day and it fired right up but no A/C power out. Can't decide who will rebuild or find what is wrong with the gen. side, get crummy service often and don't have any referals, looks like a pig in a poke for now. I'll do more research.

I've been wanting to do this bay for a bunch of reasons and it looks like this latest issue has moved the clock forward.

As I go through all the issues I'll post up as I go and list all information as I can on components and suppliers.

My Bus 157.jpg
    Here is what I'm starting with. There was some additional trim around the radiator that was missing when we bought. I'll redo that to give it the finished look. All new insulation, flex piece for the exhaust, oil sending unit was dripping, fresh hoses,fresh fuel lines, the slide out needs bracing, everything goes back in WHITE including the gen itself a real antifreeze overflow canister and mucho lighting.

My Bus 208.jpg
    If you look you will see a access panel at the right rear partly open. The next bay back is the OTRA/C evaporator and when we had it fixed they put a new adjustable expansion valve that at the time it was installed it was too early in the season to get set right, outside temps. were still too chilly. We were told to bring it back when it is 90degrees and since we have made easy access for the fellow it is time to get this done too.

My Bus 213.jpg
    Here is the divider wall removed. This is what you will see on a gen with 5000hrs, 22yrs old, that has never seen any TLC. In this pic. the gen is totaly unbuttoned ready to be plucked. I'll use 2 tight slings and a friends fork truck and with the thing slid all the way out lift it off the slide and onto a cradle I'll make.

My Bus 210.jpg
    Here's a better shot of that expansion valve in the next bay back. Does everyone know that there furnace style filters slid across in front of the evaporator. You put them in from a similar access panel that is in the plumbing bay at the other end of the evaporator.

dalej Guest

Joe, I wished I lived closer, I could just drop in and help out when you need those extra hands.

lewpopp Guest

A great undertaking on the generator compartment. What material are you going to use to insulate the area. As you know, I need to re-insulate my gen area.

Lew

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Lew

I do not know yet. I will have to do some research. What is in there now is two layers of foam pad with a thin piece of lead sandwiched between.

I'd like to find the latest and greatest and would be open to looking into all suggestions. All leads will be investigated, any suggestions, preferably white.
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 11-29-2007 at 05:46 PM.

Joe, I don't think the technology for sound deadening has changed. I have the foam/lead sandwich in my generator box. Mass will help, so another layer of plywood won't hurt. Harry may have some ideas. He is the expert on this stuff.

Have you found the flex tube yet?

dalej Guest

soundown.com is a company that I thought had a good selection of products. I had talked to them and they had seconds on some items that I needed. They do a lot of support for the boating industry.

Default Zimmerman Coach Gen Rebuild

Hey Joe, don't forget to check out Zimmerman's web site for their rebuild of the Generator compartment in their 99 Liberty. They had this coach for every one to look at, at POG III.

It was quite extensive and should give you some valuable insite into products and procedures, you might use. Just ask Lou, he'll have some good words to say about Zimmerman.

http://zimmermancoach.com/?type=post&id=7

Gary S

Joe,

When I was first looking for a coach, I ran across several in the Eugene OR area who had used a new material for generators. It looked almost like aluminum covered material.

I asked the salesman where it came from. Here's his response. (It looked like good stuff to me).

You can purchase the material you need from my freind Dick Wright. Phone: 541-744-4333. I didn't see the insulation on his web site: http://www.wricointernational.com/ however you can phone him to order.

win42 Guest

Joe: I spent quite a while writing a proceedure for your sound liner in the generator bay. When I down loaded it disappeared. I guess it was too lengthy so I'll write it again and down load it as a new thread.

win42 Guest

Generator Housing Re- Build : Most of us with older coach’s have a rubber sound deadener material lining the interior of the generator bay. These tend to soak up oil and start to turn to jelly. The goal here is to provide a dense material to prevent the sound traveling through the walls and ceiling. To add enough acustic material to the interior to use up the sound energy by vibrating a fibrous media turning the sound energy into heat energy and eliminating the higher frequency sound within the generator room..
    What I would do: After cleaning all the walls I would add 5/8” fire rated sheet rock to walls ceiling and floor. Install 2” thick 1832 Deg. F Calcium Silicate Blanket to all the interior walls, ceiling, floor and door over the sheet rock using stick pins to hold it there. I would the form up 2” deep pans of .040 aluminum sheet perforated with 32% open area with .087 holes. Fasten the pans to the wall thereby covering the Cal Sil blankets.

Where to find it: You can locate and read about most of the materials by going to mcmaster.com. Insulation and stick pins any industrial insulation company or supply house. Perforated aluminum from a local aluminum supply house or an Industrial Sheet Metal Company. They will be able to form the pans with a 2” flange in and another ½” turned in 90 deg. also. Sheet Rock from the Lumber Yard. I would not paint the aluminum, but you could.