Thread: Planes, Trains, Automobiles, Motorcycles, Steam Engines, Sailboats, and Coaches

Jim_Scoggins Guest

Default Planes, Trains, Automobiles, Motorcycles, Steam Engines, Sailboats, and Coaches

Double posting in airplane and motorcycle forums.

Just as a matter of quick introduction: I am new to Prevosts but I have been kicking around airplanes since 1964. I flew the CH-46 and the OV-10 for the Marine Corps until I retired in 1991.

I have always had a motorcycle or two. Rode Harleys for about 40 years till I went to Beemers in 1995.

Always wanted a small yacht but have made do with a small day sailer. Likewise, enjoy railroads and railroad museums. Many campgrounds are located close to railroad tracks--to the dismay of most campers--but I enjoy the sight sound and smells of the trains going by.

Don't know a lot about them but a steam engine rally can entertain me for hours. Closest I have come is an old Ford 8N tractor but now have a Kabota 4 wheel drive.

Where am I going with this?

I think those of us who enjoy one of these things also enjoy some of the others. A guy who likes airplanes, will like motorcycles, sailboats, and coaches. The link, I think, is the feed back one gets back from a machine that is performing as it should: A well trimmed airplane or sailboat, an aircraft, coach, or motorcycle that is on the step, or a 16 inch bottom plow turning the furrow as it should. Likewise, we feel discomfort, if not pain, when a machine is not quite right.

I don't think I am a gearhead. I don't enjoy tearing things apart just to see how they work. Example: I didn't enjoy fooling around with broken airplanes--I like it when they are flying, or better yet, delivering ordnance.

I know I am on thin ice here but I swear some machines, like dogs, have souls.

Jim,

There is a campground in Fairhope, AL that has a train running thru it. I have never been there; however, it looks like something you might enjoy. If you are ever in the area, it is right off of I-10 in southern Alabama.

The name of the park is Wales West Train & Garden Lovers RV resort. It is rated 4 stars by Woodalls (which means absolutely nothing) . I think that I remember reading that it is 10 or 15 miles off of the interstate.

Check it out
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

win42 Guest

Trains: There is rail Road Museum located in Tehachape CA. They also have a elevation gaining 360 degree loop. This area is also home of American Tradition Coach Company. My son the rail buff found it very interesting. Yes any kind of machine that whizzes whirrs and humms is greatly appreciated by most Prevost owners.

Default Railside RV

As the name implies Railside RV in Williams Az is located very, very, near the train track that runs from Williams to the Grand Canyon. And yes the hostess/coowner? did deliver my wife and I over to the train Station and picked us up again on the return. Super nice folks and very accomodating.( Way too much train riding for us) but if you like old trains and the accompanying memorabilia that may be a must stop for you.
    Roger that!
    2008 Liberty DS XL2
    2023 Denali Ultimate
    My 6th Prevost