Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Belt Tension Air Bags Leaking

Default Belt Tension Air Bags Leaking

Found one of my leaks! Both belt tension air bags are leaking. Where do I get these bad boys? The one for the fan looks like a real bitch to get at. Anyone have any experience....

Default leaking air bag

Hey - Just a suggestion - about 6 weeks ago I discovered my air bag for the fan leaking - I adjusted the clamp around the bag and it was silenced. I use the coach about 1 to 2 nights at least every week to every other week & so far so good. I do however have a leak in a pocket door that i can hear when I listen close. I have no idea how to get to it.

You might try loosening the clamp and change the position for temporary relief. I also would like to know a source for the air bags -Roger

Roger,
    How did you tighten the clamp? Mine seems to have a continuous metal band all the way around with no way of tightening.

ken&ellen Guest

Tom, I guess I lucked out. My Liberty, '91, has manual adjusters and I got to close my pocket door the old fashion way...by hand. We have enough systems to stay ahead of without getting too fancy. Good luck with your air bags and can not wait to see this coach at POG...I hear she is a beauty.
    Ken

Default air baq clamp

Tom:
    Mine is the only air bag I have examined closely, it has a metal type hose clamp, The Liberty I have has a stainless shroud at the rear of the engine from the bumper up. I removed the shroud and was able to access the bag and clamp fairly easy. it is possible that this air bag had been replaced prior to my possession and replacement airbags maybe installed with a wormgear type clamp. Maybe someone on this board can shed more light for both of us.l
    Roger

The goodyear bellows have a clamp of aluminum. If you have a wormgear clamp it is possible it was added over the top of the original clamp. The bellows are available from Prevost. If it is not the clamp that leaks it is likely a crack in the plastic base.

Ken, I'm surprised you have manual adjusters. Typically, coaches with OTR always had pneumatic belt tensioners, except for converter installed accessories like a second alternator. Early coaches had brass air cylinders (which I loved because you could really polish them up). Series sixty coaches have the small bellows that look similar to generator air bags.

ken&ellen Guest

Jon, I do not have OTR air either. Must have the plain Jane Liberty, but we are happy with it....until the next round of MPD strikes. Ken

Pneumatic tensioners are neat because you can flip a valve and they are loosened up enough to remove the belts. Ideal for a quick repair on the shoulder of the road.

But do not dismay if you don't have them. As you have seen posted here they are part of the leaks we have to chase. If I did not have them I would not miss them. I have no clue why they can't build a mega-buck coach with a spring type tensioner on the belts. Just as quick as the air operated ones and no leaks.

lewpopp Guest

Ken

What are you referring to when you speak of "pocket doors"? I guess I am presently braindead.

As posted on the other board, I found the bellows at Prevost for 36.00. I have the old ones off, just waiting for parts. I'll keep it as designed, but it would be real easy to just pump them up and then cap off the line making it a manual system. At least it wouldn't be dependent on the aux air causing loose belts at start up. I'm with Jon on this one, give a spring and forget all this air stuff....